Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,551 Members 37,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help spotting a clone

Tip us?

Quickvic30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169
Default Help spotting a clone

So I found this s4 for sale for a reasonable price. There are no Samsung logos on the phone so that kind of worries me but the seller claims its a I9500 model. The phone really doesn't look deformed like most of the clones do so I'm kind of stumped. Can I go into settings then about device and look for clues to this phone being a clone? I only have these pics he posted in the ad. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00t0t_4hMUBkRVHVS_600x450.jpg
Views:	2952
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	2531599   Click image for larger version

Name:	00707_5MWBkYqtYR7_600x450.jpg
Views:	2799
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	2531600  
Current Devices

SM-G900T on AT&T
SGH-M919 on AT&T+Rebirth
SCH-I535 on T-mobile
SGH-T989 Rooted
Galaxy Gear = Rooted+Kernel

JohnnyInBriz
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickvic30 View Post
So I found this s4 for sale for a reasonable price. There are no Samsung logos on the phone so that kind of worries me but the seller claims its a I9500 model. The phone really doesn't look deformed like most of the clones do so I'm kind of stumped. Can I go into settings then about device and look for clues to this phone being a clone? I only have these pics he posted in the ad. What do you guys think?
Download System Info Droid from play store. It will tell you what processor it is. Most likely it will be a Mediatek SOC
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyInBriz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maxsam4
Old
Thanks Meter 48

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Everything in the pics seems fine.
Check the "about device" from settings.
Another test can be done using the imei
visit http://www.imei.info/ for more info.
The Following User Says Thank You to maxsam4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Quickvic30
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169
Thanks guys! So if it is a unlocked international version will I be able to put my ATT sim in there and enter the ATT APN's and be set to go?
Current Devices

SM-G900T on AT&T
SGH-M919 on AT&T+Rebirth
SCH-I535 on T-mobile
SGH-T989 Rooted

jaswinky
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Thanks guys! So if it is a unlocked international version will I be able to put my ATT sim in there and enter the ATT APN's and be set to go?
If att frequencies are compatible to international standards frequencies, yes...

To be sure it is not a clon s4, once you have in your hands before paying, try to enter in download mode (switch off, and then press pwr+home+vol down simultaneity for some seconds), if it is original Samsung, will enter in odin or download mode. If nothing happens or it enter in a different mode (factory mode, etc), it is a clon.

Samsung logo could be missed because screen has been broken and replaced by a generic non Samsung screen. Check all touch responses are OK.

Enviado desde mi GT-P7510 usando Tapatalk 2

Quickvic30
Old
(Last edited by Quickvic30; 23rd January 2014 at 02:34 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169
Default Re: Help spotting a clone

Thanks for the input guys. I went to go get the phone and he pulled it out and I knew at first glance it was a cheap knock off, it sure as heck wasn't the phone in the pics above cause the bezel on the side of the screen was pretty thick and the home button wasn't centered in the bezel, it was more towards the bottom of the phone. The android OS version on the phone was 4.2.9? I love dealing with trying to buy used phones........bunch of crooked people out there that's for sure!

Sent from my SM-N900A
Current Devices

SM-G900T on AT&T
SGH-M919 on AT&T+Rebirth
SCH-I535 on T-mobile
SGH-T989 Rooted