XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [Idea/Suggestion/Question] Whatsapp Smiley in 4.4 Kitkat

Tip us?

xxrahulxx
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Q] [Idea/Suggestion/Question] Whatsapp Smiley in 4.4 Kitkat

Android versions 4 and below had no support for emojis. Jelly Bean came along with some improved support using font like smileys which were completely indecipherable on a small screen phone.

Now, with Kitkat, Google has incorporated some better support for smileys that are, for the first time, actually usable.
However, what I feel is that the Whatsapp smileys are really better looking as compared to the Kitkat ones. The Whatsapp smileys have, sort of, become the default form of smileys for the respective ones. And the google smileys, be it JB or KK ones, look more like a side-variant to the default-whatsapp ones.

So what I want ask is whether is it possible to replace the KK smileys with whatsapp looking like ones. I believe it must be possible because both KK and whatsapp smileys are image ones. So if the image files of KK smileys are replaced with correclty resized whatsapp smileys, wouldn't it be possible to achieve it?
Further, some skilled and interested dev may make a CWM flashable zip out of it, that may be used with many devices. Obviously, that would be possible, only if the images in most ROMs are stored in some standard place and in a standard resolution, etc.

I am no developer and may be completely wrong. Any person knowledgeable enough to shed some light on my query as to whether it is actually possible?

Here, now that I've asked it... Please reply and let my itch go

mauam
Old
Thanks Meter 5822

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrahulxx View Post
Android versions 4 and below had no support for emojis. Jelly Bean came along with some improved support using font like smileys which were completely indecipherable on a small screen phone.

Now, with Kitkat, Google has incorporated some better support for smileys that are, for the first time, actually usable.
However, what I feel is that the Whatsapp smileys are really better looking as compared to the Kitkat ones. The Whatsapp smileys have, sort of, become the default form of smileys for the respective ones. And the google smileys, be it JB or KK ones, look more like a side-variant to the default-whatsapp ones.

So what I want ask is whether is it possible to replace the KK smileys with whatsapp looking like ones. I believe it must be possible because both KK and whatsapp smileys are image ones. So if the image files of KK smileys are replaced with correclty resized whatsapp smileys, wouldn't it be possible to achieve it?
Further, some skilled and interested dev may make a CWM flashable zip out of it, that may be used with many devices. Obviously, that would be possible, only if the images in most ROMs are stored in some standard place and in a standard resolution, etc.

I am no developer and may be completely wrong. Any person knowledgeable enough to shed some light on my query as to whether it is actually possible?

Don't understand you very well, anyway take alook here & you can always use xda search bar, maybe more useful than ask, I think. Have a nice day bud

xxrahulxx
Old
(Last edited by xxrahulxx; 8th December 2013 at 07:41 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauam View Post

Don't understand you very well, anyway take alook here & you can always use xda search bar, maybe more useful than ask, I think. Have a nice day bud
Well, as a good XDA user, I did start with a search. But could not find any relevant result.

Going forward, the link you gave is of a Kitkat keyboard, backported to ICS. However, what I want is completely diffrerent.

Let me attempt to explain it in another manner.

See the screenshot below..
All across the Kitkat ROM, emojis would appear as (2). Be it stock messaging app, notification bar etc.

I want them to be replaced by images in (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asd.png
Views:	41
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	2440693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-08-12-55-18.png
Views:	38
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2440694  

BobQuentok
Old
Thanks Meter 28
I want it the other way around that the ugly Whatsapp emoticons get replaced by the awesome Google ones.

Gesendet von meinem HTC Sensation mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to BobQuentok For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

totalnoob34
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobQuentok View Post
I want it the other way around that the ugly Whatsapp emoticons get replaced by the awesome Google ones.

Gesendet von meinem HTC Sensation mit Tapatalk
We're two, man! I love KK emoticons and looking for a way to replace whatsapp ones with those
If I helped, hit the THANKS button!

->LOOKING FOR AN ITALIAN TRANSLATOR?<-
Just PM me and I'll do the job for you!

mma173
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It should not be difficult but will take some time.
1. Locate where the system emojis are. You can open the APKs as you would with ZIP files. I expect to find them in the framework.
2. Copy the system APK in which the emojis are to your computer.
3. Download Whatsapp.apk and extract the emojis from it.
4. Compare the resolution of whatsapp emojis to the ones in the system. Modify the ones from whatsapp and make sure they are similar to the system.
5. Rename whatsapp emojis so that they have the same name as their corresponding ones in the system apk .
6. Overwrite the ones in the system with the ones from whatsapp.
7. Flash the modified APK using an Update Flashable ZIP.

But a better way would be using Xposed but I'm no dev and don't know how to create Xposed Modules.

Good Luck

mma173
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrahulxx View Post

Ignore my earlier answer. It turned out that the emojis are stored in a new font of a new format. Check out:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2563757

You can overwrite the emojis file with the one in that thread

Tags
cwm, kitkat, smileys, whatsapp