Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,733 Members 53,670 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Backup stock kernel. Is is possible?

Tip us?

fparri
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Backup stock kernel. Is is possible?

Hello,

I would like to backup my stock kernel, before flashing a custom rom. Is it possible?

mihahn
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2156
You don't need to do that. Just download the stock rom/kernel for your phone. As far as I know all kernels are the same and there's no difference depending on your region. Remember your kernel version and just download the kernel with the same build number from xda for example

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.4

Devices/Links/Information:

Device:Google Nexus 4 8gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KOT49H]

Device:Google Nexus 7 32gb
ROM:Stock Android 4.4.2 [KRT16O]

Device:Xperia Mini Pro SK17i
ROM: Super Jelly Bean 8.0
Kernel:nAa 2.6 [CWM]

Device:Raspberry Pi Model B

For a Rooting Guide for xperia 2011 devices, click me! | To unlock the Bootloader, click me! | How to install a custom kernel/rom? Click me | Super Jelly Bean 8.0 for xperia mdpi
The Following User Says Thank You to mihahn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fparri
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihahn View Post
You don't need to do that. Just download the stock rom/kernel for your phone. As far as I know all kernels are the same and there's no difference depending on your region. Remember your kernel version and just download the kernel with the same build number from xda for example

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.4
I see. What if I could not find my kernel version and I wanted to extract it from my phone? Is it feasible?

bejunk
Old
Thanks Meter 1166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fparri View Post
I see. What if I could not find my kernel version and I wanted to extract it from my phone? Is it feasible?
u will find it 100% like said above , no need for that. every stock.ics.ftf contains a kernel u can easily flash. no need for crazy stuffs, bro.

if u get any trouble just flash a stock.ics.ftf & ur phone is like out of the box
.../// LT18i /// LegacyXperia 4.4.4 /// baseband .77 ///...

The Following User Says Thank You to bejunk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fparri
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejunk View Post
u will find it 100% like said above , no need for that. every stock.ics.ftf contains a kernel u can easily flash. no need for crazy stuffs, bro.

if u get any trouble just flash a stock.ics.ftf & ur phone is like out of the box
Understood. Thanks a million!
The Following User Says Thank You to fparri For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]