Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,354 Members 41,662 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Oppo Find 5 - Which Kernel do you use?

Tip us?

chuSmu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] Oppo Find 5 - Which Kernel do you use?

Hi there,

I was unsure if I should ask this in the Oppo Forum or here, if I am in the wrong place just tell me!

As for my question: I just wanted to know what kernel other user owning the Find 5 and running Omni Rom are using.
I was kind of unable to find a fit when i searched in the Find 5 Forum in "Android Original Development" (this was the right forum right?). So I am happy about any reply. If you could drop a few words on why you use this very kernel, even more!

If I was just plain dumb/blind asking this question cause it was answerd a thousand times before - please give me directions, I really didn't find what I was looking for.

chuSmu

maxwen
Old
(Last edited by maxwen; 19th January 2014 at 04:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4463

DONATE TO ME
Every oppo find 5 kernel for 4.3/4 is a custom one since coloros is still at android 4.2
Which is what oppo shares on their github.

For 4.3/4 there are AFAIK only two kernels
-based on the omnirom one
-from cfxe http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/ao...weeklies.5630/

Dont know about CM
The Following User Says Thank You to maxwen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chuSmu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwen View Post
Every oppo find 5 kernel for 4.3/4 is a custom one since coloros is still at android 4.2
Which is what oppo shares on their github.

For 4.3/4 there are AFAIK only two kernels
-based on the omnirom one
-from cfxe http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/ao...weeklies.5630/

Dont know about CM
Ok, thanks a bunch - that explains it. I concluded from your post that 4.3 kernels work on 4.4 too? Is that correct?
But i thought that there were only two major differences between kernels for the same device and the same
android version - sense and aosp. Your words were "the only ones based on omni rom..." does that mean there are more
differences i have to look out for? Sorry.. i really still am a noob when it comes to kernels and stuff.

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24103

DONATE TO ME
Keep in mind that modified system configurations (such as changing the kernel) are NOT supported by Omni.

If you are running a kernel other than the included one, your configuration becomes invalid for any bug reports.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chuSmu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Keep in mind that modified system configurations (such as changing the kernel) are NOT supported by Omni.

If you are running a kernel other than the included one, your configuration becomes invalid for any bug reports.
Thanks for the info - I did not know this..it might actually keep me from installing another kernel. It was just that i wanted to toy a little around wih it (after reading some more ^^) simply cause I have never done it before and wanted to experience firsthand how it can affect performance and battery life.

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24103

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuSmu View Post
Thanks for the info - I did not know this..it might actually keep me from installing another kernel. It was just that i wanted to toy a little around wih it (after reading some more ^^) simply cause I have never done it before and wanted to experience firsthand how it can affect performance and battery life.
Many of the tweaks that people install custom kernels for can be simply achieved by altering the tuning settings of their existing kernel.

For example, those who really like battery life may wish to choose the conservative governor and set aggressive up/down thresholds. (up threshold 90 and down of 60 is what I use)
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chuSmu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Many of the tweaks that people install custom kernels for can be simply achieved by altering the tuning settings of their existing kernel.

For example, those who really like battery life may wish to choose the conservative governor and set aggressive up/down thresholds. (up threshold 90 and down of 60 is what I use)
Yeah that's what I was looking for. Though i failed to realize that these options are provided ^^. It's kinda embarassing cause i only noticed
them when i wanted to switch apps with switchtr and pulled out the sliding bar by accident.
So yeah i had what i wanted all along .. Well anyways ... thanks for providing the settings you use. I'm gonna try them!

chuSmu