Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 52,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] importance of DRM keys

Tip us?

austicorn
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] importance of DRM keys

hi, i am totally new to rooting. my phone is sony Xperia Mk16i with rooting status - Bootloader unlock status: Yes. the ROM is factory installed 2.3.4.
i was checking this forum and noticed the test point method of rooting which allows to maintain the DRM keys. i do not purchase any songs or videos online neither do i use the trackID app of my phone. is there any other reason to save the DRM keys other than the ones mentioned?

i noticed a thread in another forum where someone was complaining about not being able to use camera after rooting without saving the DRM keys.

i would also like to know if there is any method of rooting the phone without unlocking the bootloader. the main reason i want to root my phone is to increase its internal memory and be able to use the USB OTG option in my phone which is locked.

i am trying this after expiry of the warranty period and seriously can't afford to brick my phone.
any help or answers will be much appreciated.

thank you

Attitude.SSJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by austicorn View Post
hi, i am totally new to rooting. my phone is sony Xperia Mk16i with rooting status - Bootloader unlock status: Yes. the ROM is factory installed 2.3.4.
i was checking this forum and noticed the test point method of rooting which allows to maintain the DRM keys. i do not purchase any songs or videos online neither do i use the trackID app of my phone. is there any other reason to save the DRM keys other than the ones mentioned?

i noticed a thread in another forum where someone was complaining about not being able to use camera after rooting without saving the DRM keys.

i would also like to know if there is any method of rooting the phone without unlocking the bootloader. the main reason i want to root my phone is to increase its internal memory and be able to use the USB OTG option in my phone which is locked.

i am trying this after expiry of the warranty period and seriously can't afford to brick my phone.
any help or answers will be much appreciated.

thank you
Yes... Rooting can be done without unlocking bootloader...try the eroot thread...

Sent from my Xperia Neo V using Tapatalk 2