Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,091 Members 52,696 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOLVED] Can flash 4.4 over 4.3 without unlocking?

Tip us?
 
tatazeuz
Old
(Last edited by tatazeuz; 22nd January 2014 at 06:18 PM.) Reason: Solved
#1  
tatazeuz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 284
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santiago
Question [SOLVED] Can flash 4.4 over 4.3 without unlocking?

I want to get the 4.4 update on my new Moto G. But also i want to avoid unlocking the bootloader. I read somewhere that the system will let you flash a signed image without unlocking the bootloader, but i want to be sure, so i don't end with a soft bricked phone and have to unlock it anyways.
Can you help me?

EDIT: You can! Just flash the upgrade via fastboot and your phone will have the last iteration of Android witthot unlocking anything.

 


Motorola Moto G 16GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted


Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted

RETIRED

Motorola Razr i
 
digitalmahdi
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 97
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatazeuz View Post
I want to get the 4.4 update on my new Moto G. But also i want to avoid unlocking the bootloader. I read somewhere that the system will let you flash a signed image without unlocking the bootloader, but i want to be sure, so i don't end with a soft bricked phone and have to unlock it anyways.
Can you help me?
you don't have to unlock it if you are updating it through the update option inside the phone itself.
 
tatazeuz
Old
#3  
tatazeuz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 284
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmahdi View Post
you don't have to unlock it if you are updating it through the update option inside the phone itself.
I know, but the phone comes with a carrier firmware that will take some time to roll the update, and I want to replace it.

 


Motorola Moto G 16GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted


Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted

RETIRED

Motorola Razr i
 
digitalmahdi
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 97
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatazeuz View Post
I know, but the phone comes with a carrier firmware that will take some time to roll the update, and I want to replace it.
then the answer is no, in order to load any custom rom you have to unlock your bootloader.
 
tatazeuz
Old
#5  
tatazeuz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 284
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmahdi View Post
then the answer is no, in order to load any custom rom you have to unlock your bootloader.
But I'm not trying to load a custom ROM, I'm trying to load an official firmware.

 


Motorola Moto G 16GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted


Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted

RETIRED

Motorola Razr i
 
Faruko
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 45
Posts: 232
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Santiago
Which is a ROM itself

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
1. Moto G: Stock; Faux Kernel 009_r3; Xposed + Gravity Box
2. Moto G: Paranoid Android; RenderKernel r17
Waiting for the next Nexus tablet
 
tatazeuz
Old
#7  
tatazeuz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 284
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faruko View Post
Which is a ROM itself

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app
But certainly isn't custom, and its signed.

 


Motorola Moto G 16GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted


Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted

RETIRED

Motorola Razr i
 
voosh710
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 19
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatazeuz View Post
But certainly isn't custom, and its signed.
I think you should refer to this video - http://youtu.be/-L44JqysUy8

It shows how to flash a rom without unlocking the bootloader. There are retail ROMS available from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14
The Following User Says Thank You to voosh710 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tatazeuz
Old
#9  
tatazeuz's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 284
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by voosh710 View Post
I think you should refer to this video - http://youtu.be/-L44JqysUy8

It shows how to flash a rom without unlocking the bootloader. There are retail ROMS available from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14
Thanks!

 


Motorola Moto G 16GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted


Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB
ROM: Stock Android 4.4.2
Bootloader: Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1
Rooted

RETIRED

Motorola Razr i
 
szymgio
Old
#10  
szymgio's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 80
Posts: 162
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kościan/ Poznań
I flashed retail.GB over my tesco firmware without unlocking bootloader

Motorola Moto G (XT1032), Android 4.4.2

Tags
4.4, bootloader, kitkat, moto g, update
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA Forums Added for the First Batch of Android One Devices!

Just yesterday, we talked about the highly anticipated launch of the first batch … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: DonkeyGuard, Don’t Be a Donkey, Control Your Device – XDA Developer TV

Some applications ask for the world … more

Use Facebook Pictures as a LWP with Facebook View

One of the best things that Android has always offeredits users is the ability to tailor … more

Share Your Thoughts Anonymously with A Minimalist Social Network

Nowadays, almost everyone has a second life onthe Internet. Among the best … more