XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unbranding a nokia 520

Tip us?

ndowens
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Unbranding a nokia 520

I have asked on wpcentral and wanted to get more people's opionons, I was thinking of flashing a CV rom to get updates faster. My phone is the 520 and it is SIM locked. It is using rm-915. I am wondering if it is sim locked and I used a different rom, from another country or global rom. Would I have a sim issue since it is locked to ATT.

2. How hard is it to brick a Lumia,
3. How easy is it to unbrick one
4. Voids the warranty right?

The only guy that answered my questions on wpcentral said he never has bricked one and they are easy to unbrick.
Also said I shouldn't have an issue with the sim.

thals1992
Old
Thanks Meter 189

DONATE TO ME
The only typical way that they are bricked are when the device tries to do an update, but you get the "spinning gears of death" for hours on end. That's the update screen, but it shouldn't last more than 15 minutes.

To unbrick it, you just need to hold volup when turning on and reflash it.

It technically voids the warranty, but I have no way of knowing.

The phone would still be locked to AT&T, but it almost more useful to say on the ROM that's in it. AFAIK the US CV doesn't have the GDR3/Black update out yet for the Lumia 520.

ndowens
Old
(Last edited by ndowens; 23rd January 2014 at 06:34 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Would I get a SIM error if I used an international rom for the 520.

For the rm915 there is a light swap eng global. Someone recommended the Brazil CV and another said Indian since they have black.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520

ndowens
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I have heard that going from a newer version firmware back to an older one would cause a brick. I was looking at the Brazil one and it says 3046.0000.1329.2002 and my current one is att 3043.0000.1324.0001

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520