Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 42,050 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Locked out of Venue 8320, any way in?

Tip us?

Rasilon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Locked out of Venue 8320, any way in?

OK, I recognize I might catch some crap on this, since you guys don't know me from Adam, but it's a crappy situation. My friend passed this on to me, because he is stumped. His brother died in a car wreck on Christmas night, and found among his possessions in the car was this Venue 8320. It's set up with a pattern lock, and of course we can't get past it.Don't have access to the email, because the guy is dead. His father tossed the cell phone that might have been linked to the email, so we can't get in the email that way. So, I'm trying to figure out how to either bypass the pattern lock, or barring that, reset it so that it's at least usable.

I've loaded the Intel Android drivers on my computer, and can get an ADB shell, or access the fastboot when booted into Droidboot, but without root access I'm still pretty limited in what I can do. Is there any way in to this thing, or is my friend SOL?

chairsz
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasilon View Post
OK, I recognize I might catch some crap on this, since you guys don't know me from Adam, but it's a crappy situation. My friend passed this on to me, because he is stumped. His brother died in a car wreck on Christmas night, and found among his possessions in the car was this Venue 8320. It's set up with a pattern lock, and of course we can't get past it.Don't have access to the email, because the guy is dead. His father tossed the cell phone that might have been linked to the email, so we can't get in the email that way. So, I'm trying to figure out how to either bypass the pattern lock, or barring that, reset it so that it's at least usable.

I've loaded the Intel Android drivers on my computer, and can get an ADB shell, or access the fastboot when booted into Droidboot, but without root access I'm still pretty limited in what I can do. Is there any way in to this thing, or is my friend SOL?

factory reset clears all lock codes but also deletes all info.
power off, then power on while holding voume down button
you should select the option called recovery, on the recovery screen you should c da droid on his back when you are there press and hold power button and voolume up button for 2 or so seconds and you should enter recovery mode
Current phone:
Motorola Moto G aka The Pimpmeister! 8 gb Single sim version x1032 with a 16GB micro usb flash-drive main squeeze
Rogers Kanada
Rooted with Xperience custom rom, and philz touch CWM...
Current tabby:
DELL VENUE 8 3830..4.3..stock everything and smooooth.

previous devices
samsung galaxy s2 LTE i727R.. Finally bit the dust..
Samsung galaxy gio
LG Optimus one
LG optimus L5
HTC wildfire S.
Asus MeMo pad HD 8 and Memopad HD 7
HP Slate 7 Plus 4200ca

Rasilon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairsz View Post
factory reset clears all lock codes but also deletes all info.
power off, then power on while holding voume down button
you should select the option called recovery, on the recovery screen you should c da droid on his back when you are there press and hold power button and voolume up button for 2 or so seconds and you should enter recovery mode
Hmm. When I go to Recovery, all I get is a picture of an android on it's side with a repair hatch open. There does not appear to be any way to do a reset from there, at least not that I can see.

I've been trying to root it, but SuperOneClick isn't working. I tried pushing the various included files manually and executing them, but they won't execute - the error message is "not executable: magic 7F45". I tracked down x86 versions of su, busybox, etc. and they will execute, so it looks like all I need now is an x86 binary for rageagainstthecage/psneuter/zergRush. Does anybody know where I would track one down? I haven't had any luck finding one so far.

deansouth8
Old
Thanks Meter 5
When at then android hatch picture you can press power then vol+ same time, let go and u will have more options. Good luck.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using xda app-developers app

chairsz
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasilon View Post
Hmm. When I go to Recovery, all I get is a picture of an android on it's side with a repair hatch open. There does not appear to be any way to do a reset from there, at least not that I can see.

I've been trying to root it, but SuperOneClick isn't working. I tried pushing the various included files manually and executing them, but they won't execute - the error message is "not executable: magic 7F45". I tracked down x86 versions of su, busybox, etc. and they will execute, so it looks like all I need now is an x86 binary for rageagainstthecage/psneuter/zergRush. Does anybody know where I would track one down? I haven't had any luck finding one so far.

there is a working method of rooting this tab is for the 4.2.2 version ( some 4.2.2's are not really working with root but others are) and if your tabby is the 4.3 update then that method to root exists somewhat but the creator of that method isnt releasing it till he deems its ready. so just look in this forum somewhere you'll find you root method if your on 4.2.2

also to enter recovery when at the droid on his back screen press and hold the volume up and power button simultaneously
there you can wipe stuff.
Current phone:
Motorola Moto G aka The Pimpmeister! 8 gb Single sim version x1032 with a 16GB micro usb flash-drive main squeeze
Rogers Kanada
Rooted with Xperience custom rom, and philz touch CWM...
Current tabby:
DELL VENUE 8 3830..4.3..stock everything and smooooth.

previous devices
samsung galaxy s2 LTE i727R.. Finally bit the dust..
Samsung galaxy gio
LG Optimus one
LG optimus L5
HTC wildfire S.
Asus MeMo pad HD 8 and Memopad HD 7
HP Slate 7 Plus 4200ca

Rasilon
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairsz View Post
there is a working method of rooting this tab is for the 4.2.2 version ( some 4.2.2's are not really working with root but others are) and if your tabby is the 4.3 update then that method to root exists somewhat but the creator of that method isnt releasing it till he deems its ready. so just look in this forum somewhere you'll find you root method if your on 4.2.2

also to enter recovery when at the droid on his back screen press and hold the volume up and power button simultaneously
there you can wipe stuff.
Yeah, thanks. I don't think it's 4.3, because it hasn't been on a network since 12/25, although perhaps that's why I haven't been able to root it. Kernel version is 3.4.34, which I see has been reported as present in a patched 4.2.2 version that is not vulnerable to standard 4.2.2 exploits. I guess that's what I haven't been able to get in. I'll tell my friend that he can either wait for a 4.3 root exploit to be released, or wipe it clean.

Thanks for the help chairsz.