Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more
Post Reply

[Q] Razr_Blade root failing after OTA Update 98.72.18-8

16th January 2014, 07:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
After I installed OTA Update SW Version: 98.72.18-8 on my Droid 4, I lost root access. I read in another thread that RAZR_BLADE root method still works if you clear cache and data and force close smart actions before you root with RAZR. I did this and ran the DROID_4_Utility_Jellybean_XT894 which includes the RAZR_BLADE root method. On phase 2 the batch script has you open smart actions and run battery saver mode. The following came up after phase 3

failed on '/data/logger/' - Permision Denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger/ file exists
unable to chmod /data/logger: opperation not permitted
link failed File exists

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
16th January 2014, 07:43 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
I figured it out with more research. You need your phone USB in MTP mode for it to work. Hope this helps.
17th January 2014, 09:01 PM   |  #3  
inspector_Gadget's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
More
I'm having the same problem. Cannot get root back. I am also using the DROID_4_Utility_Jellybean_XT894_WinMacLin tool.

Note: the "Battery Saver" wasn't there, probably due to my clearing the data for the app. My solution was to create a "Battery Saver" item. This didn't seem to help. I did not encounter any errors, but on last reboot, I still don't appear to be rooted.
Last edited by inspector_Gadget; 17th January 2014 at 09:12 PM.
21st January 2014, 04:43 PM   |  #4  
tcrews's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 177
 
725 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector_Gadget

I'm having the same problem. Cannot get root back. I am also using the DROID_4_Utility_Jellybean_XT894_WinMacLin tool.

Note: the "Battery Saver" wasn't there, probably due to my clearing the data for the app. My solution was to create a "Battery Saver" item. This didn't seem to help. I did not encounter any errors, but on last reboot, I still don't appear to be rooted.

Battery Saver will appear, you just have to wait for it. If you cleared data of the app (which you need to do before attempting to re-root with razr_blade), Smart Actions has to rebuild the default choices. Give it a few minutes and Battery Saver will appear. I've rooted 3 Droid 4's and 1 Droid Razr with razr_blade after this new update was pushed out (all had previously been rooted).
The Following User Says Thank You to tcrews For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #5  
inspector_Gadget's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews

Battery Saver will appear, you just have to wait for it. If you cleared data of the app (which you need to do before attempting to re-root with razr_blade), Smart Actions has to rebuild the default choices. Give it a few minutes and Battery Saver will appear. I've rooted 3 Droid 4's and 1 Droid Razr with razr_blade after this new update was pushed out (all had previously been rooted).

Yes, it did appear. so, tried again. This time, got the following:[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists

It still said "Exploit Complete" at the end, but alas, no root.
Ideas?

Thanks for your help,
--Glenn.
23rd January 2014, 06:32 PM   |  #6  
tcrews's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 177
 
725 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Clear cache and data of Smart Actions and then force close it and try again. Make sure your USB is connected as MTP and not mass storage.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to tcrews For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #7  
inspector_Gadget's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2007
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrews

Clear cache and data of Smart Actions and then force close it and try again. Make sure your USB is connected as MTP and not mass storage.

Awesome! I have root! ok, it was the Mass Storage Mode that was killing me. I feel so stupid, because right above my first post was "must be in MTP mode". not sure how I missed that.

At any rate, thank you for your time and considerable patience!

--Glenn

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes