Signal but no service

23rd January 2014, 11:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

2 posts
Hey,

I'm a lurker, but this is my first post, please be nice :P

I've been having issues with phones at work.

I work about 10 miles away from home, but unlike home (which is in a strong 3G area), I work in the sticks where you're lucky to get a couple of bars of 2G, and it drifts in and out.

I used to have an iPhone 5, and on a semi regular basis what would happen is I'd lose signal, and even when I drove back home I'd still have no signal, although i'd often have 3G with data - but showing no bars and unable to make calls.

Now I have a Nexus 5, and I'm having the same problem, although the phone shows it differently. This time the phone shows signal, and again lets you use the data, but when making calls you'd get a Mobile network not available error until you power cycle the device.

What gives? The network provider won't help me, saying that they don't support signal at my place of work anyway, but what they dont understand is that once I've lost signal, I have to power cycle or I never get signal again, and this can happen every day - I don't want to be power cycling every time I leave work!

I'm rooted (but that's not the cause of the issue as I had it on a vanilla iPhone 5 too), and I created a tasker task to monitor the signal. Every few minutes it checks the signal status by doing a dumpsys and looking for the mServiceState entry, as i've noticed a pattern. If I get a response like this:

mServiceState=1 0 home T-Mobile Orange Orange 23433 Unknown GPRS CSS not supported -1 -1 RoamInd=-1 DefRoamInd=-1 EmergOnly=false

It means I've fallen off the network - a normal response would be this:
mServiceState=0 0 home T-Mobile T-Mobile 23430 UMTS HSPA CSS not supported -1 -1 RoamInd=-1 DefRoamInd=-1 EmergOnly=false

My tasker task monitors those two digits at the start, but I find it interesting monitoring it - there seems to be no documentation however on what each part of that string means, as I'd be curious at to what is going on. My tasker task then goes on to restart the phone - not ideal.

So my question from you boffins is, do you guys have any clue whatsoever as to what is going on?! I'm at a loss! I only ever seem to get this issue when I'm at work, any other location I never get this issue.

Thanks,
Brett
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread