Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,209 Members 48,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] No OS, not rooted

Tip us?

selayan
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINexusII View Post
i dont get why you need Root to install a ROM? flash a ROM in TWRP by going to Advanced -> ADB Sideload. have a ROM on your PC where the adb and fastboot files are and type in "adb sideload name_of_rom.zip"

select reboot system when it is flashed, when it asks for root select "Do Not Install", and it should reboot into your flashed rom
My initial understanding was that OP could not get adb working to sideload a Rom. Usually twrp will ask upon reboot to install su if it detects root has been lost.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Black-FR
Old
Thanks Meter 301
If you can't get adb to work, then you should buy a USB-OTG adapter.
With the USB otg you would be able to connect a USB-Stick to the one and mount it in the recovery.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One mit Tapatalk

selayan
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Or use a ubuntu live CD.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Awsom0
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I forgot to mention, after I could not get the sideload to work, I got an OTG cable, which does work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by profixit View Post
If you hold down the power button while pressing the vol- button, does it load the Bootloader, a white screen with options.

Yes. After I get to the Bootloader, the only place I can go is into Recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAzDB View Post
If you're problem is not having root , then try flashing a supersu.zip through recovery. That should enable root access you're able to enter recovery.

I downloaded a file called "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.86.zip" from a website called "chainfire"; I'd post a link, but I can't do that until I hit 10 posts.

Then I installed it, and it was successful. Then I tried installing a ROM; and it failed again. Then I wiped everything, rebooted, re-installed the SuperSU, rebooted, and tried installing the ROM; it failed again. Also, every time I restart, TWRP still says it is not rooted, and gives the option to root it. I always opt to root it, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm also noticing, when I try and flash the ROM, it does this:
"Updating partition details...
Installing '/usb-otg/ROM.zip'
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found.
Verifying zip signature...
E: Zip signature verification failed: 1
Error flashing zip '/usb-otg/ROM.zip'
Updating partition details..."

Could it have something to do with this MD5 check? Or maybe this Zip signature verification?

cr1960
Old
Thanks Meter 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsom0 View Post
I forgot to mention, after I could not get the sideload to work, I got an OTG cable, which does work.

Yes. After I get to the Bootloader, the only place I can go is into Recovery.

I downloaded a file called "UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.86.zip" from a website called "chainfire"; I'd post a link, but I can't do that until I hit 10 posts.

Then I installed it, and it was successful. Then I tried installing a ROM; and it failed again. Then I wiped everything, rebooted, re-installed the SuperSU, rebooted, and tried installing the ROM; it failed again. Also, every time I restart, TWRP still says it is not rooted, and gives the option to root it. I always opt to root it, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm also noticing, when I try and flash the ROM, it does this:
"Updating partition details...
Installing '/usb-otg/ROM.zip'
Checking for MD5 file...
Skipping MD5 check: no MD5 file found.
Verifying zip signature...
E: Zip signature verification failed: 1
Error flashing zip '/usb-otg/ROM.zip'
Updating partition details..."

Could it have something to do with this MD5 check? Or maybe this Zip signature verification?
there's an option in TWRP where you can toggle signature validation off/on. try and turn it off then run the zip.

HTC M8
ROM: Renovate

pr0x2
Old
Thanks Meter 92
Root is needed AFTER you install your ROM. I think you have a corrupted zip file. Sideload a ROM but after you download it check the md5 to see if its downloaded correctly. You needed to read more bro. Sounds to me you are very new to this.

HTC ONE
Google Edition 4.4

DEFNUB
Old
(Last edited by DEFNUB; 23rd January 2014 at 07:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by IINexusII View Post
i dont get why you need Root to install a ROM? flash a ROM in TWRP by going to Advanced -> ADB Sideload. have a ROM on your PC where the adb and fastboot files are and type in "adb sideload name_of_rom.zip"

select reboot system when it is flashed, when it asks for root select "Do Not Install", and it should reboot into your flashed rom
You actually don't need root to flash a Rom. Sounds like a bad download like the other dude said.

Sent from my HTC one using XDA Premium HD app

Prophet16
Old
Thanks Meter 17
You should be able to install any rom you want as long as you're able to flash zips from the recovery, even if there's no OS installed, that just means the system and boot partitions are empty and they can be easily filled with a rom zip. And root is something that comes with the rom or something you can install after you flash a rom. You don't need root to flash if you can already boot into TWRP.
Samsung Eternity > Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-I777 > HTC One M7