5,596,128 Members 33,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113 CM10.2 to CM10.2 Update

Tip us?

Ohmster
Old
(Last edited by Ohmster; 8th December 2013 at 05:07 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Question [Q] Samsung Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113 CM10.2 to CM10.2 Update

I need a real and very specific answer here please that is for my specific device only. I will tag this post properly.

My Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 WiFi, GT-P5113. Screenshots attached.

I need advice on getting my Tablet updated from CyanogenMod 10.1 to 10.2. Yes there are lots of entries here about this issue, but they are flooded with all sorts of different devices, 60 or more pages, little of it is for my specific device. I have ClockworkMod Rom Manager installed, tried to update manually to the cm-10.2-20131207-NIGHTLY-p5100.zip and gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip. Booting to recovery gives me the option to flash a zip file, I choose the cm-10.2 zip. This is not like Safe Strap where I can also choose the gapps. When I tried to flash the zip, I get a system 7 error, no update.

In Settings/About Device is the update section, and the same cd10.2 update is available. But it tells me it will put me into manual mode, I see no way to update the gapps, so I give up. I did this same update with my Droid Razr Maxx and it did work, had to change the Settings, More, Mobile Networks, Network Mode, and choose CDMA + LTE/EvDo to get my phone back, but it worked. I wanted to try to update by Settings, but ended up in Safe Strap, so I choose the ROM zip and added the gapps zip. I cleared the caches and did a factory reset, and it worked, but I had to setup the entire thing all over again, huge PITA! Now, in this forum somewhere, instructions say to flash the rom and gapps, did not say factory reset was necessary. Anyway, it is done on the phone, took a while to setup, switched back and forth from stock to 10.2 until I was comfortable enough with 10.2 to run it all the time.

But this Samsung GT-P5113 is a totally different animal. I wade my way through 60 pages of posts, finding out that some stuff does not work, but the worst thing is that root is gone! Losing root here for me would be a disaster, I have no way of restoring it in CM10.2 that I know of.

Has anyone actually updated a Samsung Tab 2 10.1 to CM10.2 successfully? How did you do it? Method and apps please? Links appreciated. Will I lose root? Must I factory reset or can I update and keep my accounts?

Somebody please address this very one specific device to make it perfectly clear for those of us that have it, have root, moderate experience, and need/want to get this done. Since the GT-P5113 is the same for Gt-P5100, this thread will cover the entire GT-P51xx line. Somebody please help so I can get this done without wrecking or bricking my device. I love Linux and use it often to root or update my phone, at least I do not need drivers for Windows but will accept whatever you can offer with gratitude. Thank you guys!

...well, it looks like the screenshots did not upload or at least do not work for me, have to give images in post.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-07-22-11-40.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	2440487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-12-07-22-11-51.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2440488  
~Ohmster

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 WiFi, GT-P5113, rooted on CM11 4.4.2
Motorola Droid Razr Maxx rooted, Verizon XT912, VZW Blur ROM, 4.1.
dual boot to CM11 ROM 4.4.2

chongfl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default problem with rooting gtp5113

dear ohmster, I need help desperately the problems I encountered rooting gtp5113. I know it is not reply to your post but I think you can help me to
resolve the problem.

Ohmster
Old
(Last edited by Ohmster; 24th December 2013 at 09:20 PM.) Reason: More data
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by chongfl View Post
dear ohmster, I need help desperately the problems I encountered rooting gtp5113. I know it is not reply to your post but I think you can help me to
resolve the problem.
chongfl,
What exactly do you need, buddy? My tablet is now running on CyanogenMod ROM 10.2 so I did get it to work and it is real nice. There is an option in ClockworkMod ROM Manager under "Recovery Setup" to choose CWM ROM Manager (Which does not work for this update.) OR TWRP. I selected TWRP over CWM ROM Manager and I was able to perform the update. Then go back with CWM and install the gapps package. I like it and it worked for me.

But if you want help, you have to be very specific as to what your issue is, what make/model device, and what you have or have not done and what happened. Otherwise myself or anyone else cannot help you unless we know what your issue is.

Oh wait a minute, your post title says lost root. So what happened, you updated, got the update done, and now do not have root anymore? Are you sure? You can look for the su binary, superuser app, busybox file, or if you want to make it real easy, go to the Play Store and download a "Root Checker". This free app will tell you if the phone is rooted or not. I think there are many versions of root checker,. but here is Root Checker at the Play Store.

Use an app like that to find out if you really lost root or just cannot find it. And then tell us what you found, what you need, make and model of the device, version of Android you are running. (I have 4.3.1 now and have to update my signature.), and what ROM you installed. Okay?

If my post helps you in any way, please click the big "Thanks" button under my name on the left.
~Ohmster

johnf84
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same question

Hey there just saw your post and I just successfully rooted my wife's Tab 2 10.1 P5113 with clockwork mod recovery and the CM10.1 for android 4.2.2 like yourself. I now want to put CM10.2 for Android 4.3 on it but cannot find the correct zip file anywhere. What did you do? where did you go to get it? I think I'm missing something.... I'm very tech savvy but new to rooting so any info would be appreciated!

Ohmster
Old
(Last edited by Ohmster; 24th January 2014 at 05:27 AM.) Reason: More data
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf84 View Post
Hey there just saw your post and I just successfully rooted my wife's Tab 2 10.1 P5113 with clockwork mod recovery and the CM10.1 for android 4.2.2 like yourself. I now want to put CM10.2 for Android 4.3 on it but cannot find the correct zip file anywhere. What did you do? where did you go to get it? I think I'm missing something.... I'm very tech savvy but new to rooting so any info would be appreciated!
What say John.

You said you have the GT-P5113! Okay, so you have to use the GT-P5110 file. Now I can help. Gee, I have been spending all my time on the phone with CM11 because it is really exciting and "a whole new world on an entirely new level". I might update my tablet with you since it has been a while and there might be a later package for me. I will then go to CM11.

Here is a quote from the instructions page for your ROMS (Click this line to visit page.).
"As the IR blaster is not supported in CyanogenMod for the P5113, it is essentially a P5110 as far as CM is concerned. Therefore, if you own a P5113, please use the p5110 CM builds for flashing."

You know, I have spent all my time updating CM10.2 tp CM11 on my phone that I haven't updated the tablet yet. Kind of a dumb thing, the phone is important for communication and I got a monthly bill with it. So it would have made MUCH more sense to update the Tablet first, then do the phone. But I stubled on a really active thread, over 150 posts, about my phone, the update to CM11, that I read it and got interested. Plus, I was watching for updates to CM10.2 and when I saw there was an update and I got excited, ready to go, until....

...I saw the "update" was not to another CM10.2, but to CM11. Now THAT is a totally different animal. I have been ROMing and doing computers long enough to know a major version change means BIG update and usually means "Clean Install". I stopped dead in my tracks to read up first.Good thing too, because there were not very many updates for 10.2, only a few, never "stable" and then they went directly to CM11. Since CM10.1 and CM10.2 were both Jellybean versions, CyanogenMod did not waste a lot of time on CM10.2. I count 5 updates for CM10.2 and no more. Because Jellybean is "old school", CM11 is Kit Kat and totally different. A LOT different. Matter of fact, I cannot find anymore CM10.2 files on the CM website. They dropped it for CM11. 10.1 & 10.2 were mostly the same anyway, not much of a difference, CM10.2 developing to stable did not seem worthwhile anymore because Android is now taking a different direction and a very welcome one. Very slick, very smooth, totally different and agressive memory management. No more 20-30 apps running all the time, fighting for that precious memory. CM11 puts things to sleep pretty quick when they are not used, there are kernel modules now in something called the Xposed Framework, LOTS of them that let you customize the entire system, how it works, overclocking, almost anything you want.

Check for yourself, here are the pages for the GT-P5110, they do not make a rom for GT-P5113 because they are essentially the same but for the IR blaster so you can use it for a remote to control your TV or something like that.
Instructions Page
Download Page

This quote explains the difference between the two models and why they do not make a special rom for the GT-P5113.
"As the IR blaster is not supported in CyanogenMod for the P5113, it is essentially a P5110 as far as CM is concerned. Therefore, if you own a P5113, please use the p5110 CM builds for flashing."

There are no CM10.2 updates anymore. They dropped it. I have 5 on my device but the updates were easy because they were not a big deal, it was pretty much the same thing. Nothing special for updating. So, for you, the next big update would be CM11 and you take the very latest one they have, get the right gapps, and there is a special kernel called the "JBX" kernel you can apply that will allow all sorts of upgrades to the core of the system like tweak memory, CPU speed, sleep, battery use, governors for the CPU, color balance for the screen.

You need to find the right thread to read and follow to upgrade the GT-P5113 to CM11, read it, take notes, save pages that are guides, ask questions, and READ. Then gather your stuff and get ready to try. You will need a different Recovery Environment to install with too, like TWRP instead of CWM. Because you have to flash not only the rom, but the gapps as well and if you choose, and you should, the jbx kernel with it. ClockworkMod does not do "multiple zips", at least I don't think it does. I had to change inside of CWM to TWPR recovery mode just to get my last updates done.

Alright I found it. This is where we have to move the discussion to. Since you cannot update to CM10.2 because it is no longer supported and was dropped, you move on to CM11. You need the instruction page, with downloads, shows you where to get the files, the recovery tools you can use, plus 49 pages of discussion about it. They give a list of recovery tools, CWM is listed but "CWM 6.0.4.4 or newer (or recoverys based on it" is the only one supported. If I were you and I will be you shortly, I would probably use TWRP. I am using in on my phone in Safe Strap and it gives 6 slots to install roms into, a LOT of features, backups, restores, wipes, and can install more than one zip at a time.

Here is the page you want:
[ROM][P51xx][4.4.2]CyanogenMod 11 (CM11)

Since I have spent all my time updating the phone to CM11, I have not worked on the tablet yet nor picked a recovery yet. I will probably use TWRP, this one.
TWRP 2.6 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (p5100 or p5110)

It is a LOT different than ClockworkMod Rom Manager and it is nice. Here is a whole page of recoveries you can use for this on XDA.

Now read, read, ask questions, and READ.

You can get the jump on me if you want, I already bookmarked the page and will be doing my tablet soon. Don't take this lightly and spend a week or two reading, asking questions, googling on Kit Kat, and get ready for this. I can tell you it is super cool and WAY worth it. At first you will be overwhelmed when you install the right stuff and all the things you can configure. But it will become clear and this is the best, BY FAR!

You have to really read up on this. The Droid Razr has over 150 pages in the thread so a LOT of people have done it and got over the bugs and are finally enjoying it in all of it's glory. Not sure how far along the Samsung Tablet is with Kit Kat so reading up is a must. You are not missing anything with CM10.2, it is only CM10.1, warmed over with a little extra icing on the same cupcake. CM11 is a serious upgrade.

If you want to see what I have been doing with my Droid Razr Phone, plus learn A LOT about CM11, how it works, what was/is wrong with it, how it is now, read this thread. It is over 225 pages already!

Okay man, I will see you over on the CM11 tablet page. If you found this post helpful, please click the Thanks button. See you on the other side, John!
~Ohmster

Tags
gt-p5113 cm10.2, samsung gt-p5113 android 4.3.1, tab 2 10.1 cm10.2 update