Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,646 Members 47,039 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Warranty and Knox

Tip us?

DevilDog512
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 359
Default Samsung Warranty and Knox

So I messed up my phone pretty good the other day by corrupting my efs partition (constant bootloop). Sprint was pissy that I couldn't get system status to official, just binary. So I called Samsung and explained the situation. I was informed your factory warranty is still valid regardless of Knox being tripped and that the only way to void it was water damage or some other physical damage. Has anyone considered that Knox only trips to show phone has been tampered with for security issues? Maybe has nothing to do with our little hobby. Just a thought. Anyway, found it interesting and thought yall would too.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DevilDog512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

micmars
Old
Thanks Meter 9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog512 View Post
So I messed up my phone pretty good the other day by corrupting my efs partition (constant bootloop). Sprint was pissy that I couldn't get system status to official, just binary. So I called Samsung and explained the situation. I was informed your factory warranty is still valid regardless of Knox being tripped and that the only way to void it was water damage or some other physical damage. Has anyone considered that Knox only trips to show phone has been tampered with for security issues? Maybe has nothing to do with our little hobby. Just a thought. Anyway, found it interesting and thought yall would too.

Yes, they say as much on their site on the issue (security for enterprise users and it being a secure countermeasure for the bring your own device to work crowd), though their message to consumers may be changing, as others have contacted Sammy and reported just the opposite.

I believe that this is very useful information, and let us hope that it entails a sea change on the rise. Perhaps I and others can place calls to them and see what we are told.

On a side note, if your still having trouble with your EFS, flash the file below from recovery and see if that doesn't just put your phone back into action.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jszle9kklq...ringBackup.zip

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
"...dismiss whatever insults your own soul." - Whitman
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them." - Louis CK
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micmars For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DevilDog512
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 359
Thank you Sir. File Saved for future reference. That phone is at sprint now. Have brand new device. I agree 100% on calling them to find a general concensus on the issue. They have the ability to flash back so don't see why they'd care. Anyway, I appreciate your help and feedback. Loving this sprint note 3 community here.

DevilDog512
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 359
Can you tell me if triangle away in combination with the stock Tar file will enable OTA update after rooting and flashing?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DevilDog512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]