XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

The Quest for the best of both

Tip us?

mcprodriver
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default The Quest for the best of both

I use an iPhone for work. My personal is a RAZR Maxx Hd. The only thing that I like about the iPhone is imessage and it's ability to send a message even if I only have wifi available.

I like the way imessage toggles between wifi and data seamlessly.

Is there an app like this for android?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

amirTor
Old
Thanks Meter 304
I think that Hangouts in its current version (2.0.2) should give you similar experience-
If you decide to let it handle both SMS and online messages

mcprodriver
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I do hope hangouts. Yet, it will only do SMS over data. It will do wifi, only if I send to someone who has hangouts installed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

amirTor
Old
(Last edited by amirTor; 18th January 2014 at 09:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 304
Actually, Hangout message can be sent to anyone with Google account (Gmail, Google+, etc.)
Thats what imessage does- just sends message to your apple account...

Mobe1969
Old
(Last edited by Mobe1969; 24th January 2014 at 02:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Hangouts isn't anywhere near as integrated as iMessage. Yes, it does do SMS and internet based messaging, but not seamlessly. Or I can't get it to. The SMS contact is distinct from the google contact. So you send it one or the other.but you can't just have a hangout with someone and then if you send a message when they are out of wireless or 3g it falls back to SMS. With imessage it sent wireless OR sms without you knowing. With hangouts you need to choose if you send it wireless or sms

Or at least I haven't figured how to get it to.

amirTor
Old
(Last edited by amirTor; 25th January 2014 at 07:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Hangouts isn't anywhere near as integrated as iMessage. Yes, it does do SMS and internet based messaging, but not seamlessly. Or I can't get it to. The SMS contact is distinct from the google contact. So you send it one or the other.but you can't just have a hangout with someone and then if you send a message when they are out of wireless or 3g it falls back to SMS. With imessage it sent wireless OR sms without you knowing. With hangouts you need to choose if you send it wireless or sms

Or at least I haven't figured how to get it to.
No, that basically how it works- the guys at google enabled the sms feature only 2 versions ago, so hopefully they will improve it in the future to be moe like iMessage (unless Apple already has a patent on it)

Anyway- a good idea for a starup

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk