5,601,223 Members 54,795 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Processor overheating & battery draining due to USB mass storage mode.

Tip us?

donjoe0
Old
(Last edited by donjoe0; 23rd January 2014 at 01:47 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Processor overheating & battery draining due to USB mass storage mode.

A while ago after transfering some files to/from my PC via USB mass storage mode I unplugged the USB cable without doing a Safe Disconnect on the PC. Immediately after this, the processor (or something in the lower right corner) on my Droid 3 started overheating and draining the battery very quickly, as if I was running some very pretentious 3D game or something.

I found some discussions on the Net that lead me to look under Settings / Applications / Battery use to find that an application called "Media" was overusing the processor and causing the overheating and drainage, so I force-stopped that one and the problem went away.

But now every time I connect the phone to a PC in USB mass storage mode, I get the same problem and after I'm done transfering files I have to force-stop the "Media" application. (This is even if I use Safe Disconnect or whatever it's called on the PC.)

I've seen some other suggestion today that I should try the same operations with the SD card pulled out, but the same thing happens even in the absence of the SD card.

Does someone know how I can reset/reinstall the "Media" application or service that handles USB mass storage mode without resetting the whole thing to factory settings or reinstalling the whole Minimoto image?

doogald
Old
Thanks Meter 300
Boy, I think I remember reading somewhere that this might happen if you have a media file that is malformed. In other words, the media app scans all available storage for media files to put in the gallery (or something like that) and gets hung up when it encounters a media file that has errors in it.

I'm not sure about that, but it might be worth copying to PC and then removing all photo, music and video files from internal storage and the SD card and then see if that still happens. Then look at the files on the computer to make sure that they are good before you put them back on the phone.

My only issue with this theory is that I recall it was an issue with phones that updated from Gingerbread to ICS a few years ago, so maybe that has nothing to do with what you are seeing...
The Following User Says Thank You to doogald For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donjoe0
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the suggestion, it pointed me in the right direction.

I didn't like the idea of a simple copy operation solving a corrupt file problem, so I started looking for ways to run a chkdsk/fsck on my internal drive (since taking out the SD card hadn't eliminated the problem earlier, I assumed something was wrong on the internal drive). All the solutions I found for this involved using ADB and rebooting into some "recovery mode" and that too seemed like too much hassle, so I insisted on searching for some app that could do at least some limited filesystem checks that maybe wouldn't involve unmounting the system drive.

In the end I found something called "AParted", an ad-supported free partition manager that looks like it wants to be the Android homologue of GNOME's GParted, KDE's KParted etc. Of course, while running AParted from the system drive I couldn't perform any operations on the system drive itself, so I said "what the heck" and just ran a Repair operation on the SD card, which was the only one I could unmount in that situation.

Lo and behold, the problem seems fixed now and I'm not getting any more overheating and battery drainage after connecting my Droid to the PC in USB Mass Storage mode (tested with two PCs running Ubuntu and Windows 7).