Gorilla glass is marketing at its best

OP adriantc_ro

23rd January 2014, 03:37 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

36 posts
Hello. I have managed to scratch my precious S4 screen just after using the phone for a week. Yeah I do have a mild case of OCD (at least what I think is mild ) considering that I do use a pouch for it I wonder what is the point with all those videos showing off the impressive Gorilla glass x. Of course the second I noticed it I applied a screen protector. So much for Gorilla glass..
23rd January 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #2  
Flag on top of your mother
Thanks Meter: 750

1,849 posts
Donate to Me
More
If you want a pouch....buy a kangaroo.
The Following User Says Thank You to theunderling For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd January 2014, 07:07 PM   |  #3  
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 780

1,839 posts
More
As everyone will tell you Gorilla is scratch RESISTANT NOT SCRATCH PROOF.

The ads that demo how tough Gorilla glass is show them using coins,keys and knives on the screen mainly. These are "softer" than the layer on the glass so it doesn't scratch.
Sand however is very "hard" so it can easily scratch Gorilla glass. If you got sand in the pouch and it rubbed on the screen it will definitely scratch it.

It's actually a very good product and is more resistant than other glass but it isn't indestructible and the manufacturers don't claim it to be.

Sand is a screens worst enemy.

P.S Why did you post this in Q+A?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app
Last edited by Obagleyfreer; 23rd January 2014 at 09:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obagleyfreer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2014, 08:48 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 18

179 posts
Had my S4 for over 6 months with just the case in the picture. I check my screen every now and then for scratches and marks. I literally can't see a THING on that screen and it's very impressive. I'm pretty careful with my phones but my last phone, HTC Mozart, had a much softer screen. Seriously, you might be used to it now but old displays were a LOT more sensitive than these new screens...
24th January 2014, 12:35 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 141

386 posts
Dropped mine with no cover on concrete twice. Landed screen down both times, no scratches, no issues at all. What did you do to the screen? As said above it's scratch RESISTANT. Sand and other abrasive substances will scratch it. Sand has eroded land masses over time when you think about it.

I always have to ask this as there are a LOT of clones about, is your device a real s4?
The Following User Says Thank You to RossFixxed For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread