Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,073 Members 41,093 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Warranty Process

Tip us?

danielhep
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default HTC Warranty Process

So I have an HTC One from Verizon that is having issues with the camera; it won't focus on anything more than a foot or so away.

I've tried alternate camera apps, and it doesn't fix the focusing issue.

So, I'd like to send this phone back under warranty. How is HTC's repair process? When they can't repair a phone (which they should be able to do), they will replace it with a refurbished phone.

So, I can either send the phone in to HTC, in which case they will probably repair it and send it back. If they are not able to fix it, which is unlikely, they will give me a refurbished version. I consider this option risky, because I either get my phone taken apart and
The other option is to get a new phone from Costco. I can't get another HTC One, because for some reason they'll only send me a refurbished one. If I'm going to be going for refurbs, I may as well just try HTC's warranty process. However, I am able to get a new LG G2 or GS4. I don't want either of these phones because I don't like the plasticy feel, but it's much lower risk. I don't want to be stuck with a messed up phone and I can't keep sending it in to HTC. My return period from Costco is about to end too, so I can't send it to HTC and then change my mind and get Costco to replace it after I've already gotten it back from HTC.

So the basic question is, can I trust HTC to properly fix the phone? I really don't want to have to get a different phone, but I don't want to keep having issues. Anyone have experience with their warranty process?

EtherealRemnant
Old
Thanks Meter 528
Return it.

If you read the camera thread, it becomes clear that people are returning their device multiple times and a number of them are getting a LITEON brand sensor that has a green tint.
If I've helped you, please remember to thank me!

InsertCoin 2.3.3 w/ ElementalX .9, 2.45GHz max, -45 uV, performance cooling settings.

Retired: Sidekick 2, Sidekick 3, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Hero, Evo, Curve 8330, Bold 9700, Palm Pre, Inspire, MT4G, Sensation 4G, Nook Color, Iconia A500, LG G2x, Captivate, Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy S3 T-999, Galaxy S4 SGH-M919, HTC One (m7)!

brholt6
Old
(Last edited by brholt6; 24th January 2014 at 08:30 AM.)
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhep View Post
So I have an HTC One from Verizon that is having issues with the camera; it won't focus on anything more than a foot or so away.

I've tried alternate camera apps, and it doesn't fix the focusing issue.

So, I'd like to send this phone back under warranty. How is HTC's repair process? When they can't repair a phone (which they should be able to do), they will replace it with a refurbished phone.

So, I can either send the phone in to HTC, in which case they will probably repair it and send it back. If they are not able to fix it, which is unlikely, they will give me a refurbished version. I consider this option risky, because I either get my phone taken apart and
The other option is to get a new phone from Costco. I can't get another HTC One, because for some reason they'll only send me a refurbished one. If I'm going to be going for refurbs, I may as well just try HTC's warranty process. However, I am able to get a new LG G2 or GS4. I don't want either of these phones because I don't like the plasticy feel, but it's much lower risk. I don't want to be stuck with a messed up phone and I can't keep sending it in to HTC. My return period from Costco is about to end too, so I can't send it to HTC and then change my mind and get Costco to replace it after I've already gotten it back from HTC.

So the basic question is, can I trust HTC to properly fix the phone? I really don't want to have to get a different phone, but I don't want to keep having issues. Anyone have experience with their warranty process?
The process is really easy. I just got mine back on Wednesday. You won't get a refurb...you'll get your phone back. And, if you have any gaps or anything like that in the build of the phone, they'll be gone too. You won't have to return it multiple times if you go through HTC (using a Verizon exchange you might since they'll give you a refurb...maybe that's what this guy is talking about?) If you're s-off and unlocked, just relock and remain s-off.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Verizon HTC One - S-off'd
iPhone 4 - Retired (thankfully)
Motorola Droid - Retired

danielhep
Old
(Last edited by danielhep; 24th January 2014 at 03:18 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brholt6 View Post
The process is really easy. I just got mine back on Wednesday. You won't get a refurb...you'll get your phone back. And, if you have any gaps or anything like that in the build of the phone, they'll be gone too. You won't have to return it multiple times if you go through HTC (using a Verizon exchange you might since they'll give you a refurb...maybe that's what this guy is talking about?) If you're s-off and unlocked, just relock and remain s-off.

The worry is that HTC will replace the camera with a bad sensor or something like the other guy said. I don't want to have a green tint on my camera after I get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
Return it.

If you read the camera thread, it becomes clear that people are returning their device multiple times and a number of them are getting a LITEON brand sensor that has a green tint.

Could you point me towards this camera thread? Are you certain that the camera tint isn't that glitch that was fixed with the recent software update?
Device not rooted or hacked in any way. (It''s actually my girlfriend's phone)

brholt6
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhep View Post
The worry is that HTC will replace the camera with a bad sensor or something like the other guy said. I don't want to have a green tint on my camera after I get it back.

Could you point me towards this camera thread? Are you certain that the camera tint isn't that glitch that was fixed with the recent software update?
Device not rooted or hacked in any way. (It''s actually my girlfriend's phone)
I definitely don't have any green tinting. From what I've seen, most people have been pleased with the results. I haven't seen the thread the other guy is talking about though. Here's a low light pic after repair.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390576973443.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2536470  
Verizon HTC One - S-off'd
iPhone 4 - Retired (thankfully)
Motorola Droid - Retired