Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,150 Members 38,226 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone Storage Full... but WHY?

Tip us?

PuffDaddy_d
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Question [Q] Phone Storage Full... but WHY?

I recently received a phone storage full notification on my HTC One Mini, which surprised me because I don't have a ton of apps (mostly stock ones that came with the phone), and less than a gig of music, plus 3 gigs of photos/videos. I checked the "storage" calculator under settings and it showed the various categories that are taking up the most space (e.g. apps/music/photos/downloads/other). What I discovered was that "other" was consuming over 5 gigs of my storage space! I plugged my phone into the computer and started navigating through all the folders on the phone and can't seem to find the culprit.

What could it be?

I deleted all but my most important text messages (that barely made a dent in the storage), cleared my browser cache (still did very little), and now I don't know where else to look. Any suggestions/thoughts?

RuffBuster
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Use DiskUsage from playstore that will better show what the biggest users of space are.

Sent from my HTC One using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
Samsung Galaxy S iNand
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to RuffBuster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PuffDaddy_d
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffBuster View Post
Use DiskUsage from playstore that will better show what the biggest users of space are.

Simply amazing! DiskUsage revealed that Google's Music Streaming App (All Access) is consuming nearly 5 gigs of my storage space! I don't download any of the songs I play, and yet they appear to be stored locally on my phone somehow. Is this how it's supposed to work or is something wrong? Does anything bad happen if I delete this stored data?

RuffBuster
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Inside of settings of Google music you can disable caching of music. If you delete the folder nothing bad will happen but it will fill up again unless disabled . Cache can also be cleared via app.

Samsung Galaxy S iNand
Mackay CM9 2014 1.7
21 AUG 2014
Tags
full, htc, mini, storage