5,594,077 Members 46,650 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SD card mounting as sdcard1 instead of sdcard0, Apps don't recognize SD card

Tip us?

zephyrcat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] SD card mounting as sdcard1 instead of sdcard0, Apps don't recognize SD card

After updating to a new ROM (revolt), my SD card is mounting as "sdcard1" instead of "sdcard0" (according to the file manager). The problem is that apps don't recognize that an SD card exists. When I open the camera, for example, it immediately quits saying that there is no storage and I should insert an SD card. Many other apps respond the same way.

What can I do to either get my SD card back to mounting as sdcard0 or change where apps look for an SD card?

Thanks!

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 342

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrcat View Post
After updating to a new ROM (revolt), my SD card is mounting as "sdcard1" instead of "sdcard0" (according to the file manager). The problem is that apps don't recognize that an SD card exists. When I open the camera, for example, it immediately quits saying that there is no storage and I should insert an SD card. Many other apps respond the same way.

What can I do to either get my SD card back to mounting as sdcard0 or change where apps look for an SD card?

Thanks!
Actually, the Rezound default is sdcard0 is internal storage and sdcard1 is the external card. I am not familiar with that ROM but some JellyBean ROMs switched them (not purposely, it was a JB thing). But if you are using the stuff included with the ROM it should all work, you could also look at the symbolic link for /sdcard and see if it is pointing to /storage/sdcard0 or /storage/sdcard1 (might be to /mnt/xxx instead of storage), the exact and switch it there.

Are you restoring apps with TiBu or something similar, this layout may be different than the backed up one, you might need to reinstall everything from the Play Store to get it work properly, the ROM should be OK itself.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk ROM Official)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (CarbonROM KitKat)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

tmanschuette
Old
Thanks Meter 168
Yeah, anything 4.3 based has the cards switched.

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk

zephyrcat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the replies.

Both apps that came with the ROM (i.e. the built in camera app) and apps from the play store have trouble finding the SD card. This is where the symlinks point:

Code:
u0_a79@vigor:/ $ ls -l | grep sdcard
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2014-01-03 14:31 external_sd -> /storage/sdcard1
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2014-01-03 14:31 sdcard -> /storage/sdcard0
d---r-x--- root     sdcard_r          2014-01-03 14:31 storage
Is this correct or should they be switched?

Maybe I should just find another ROM...

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 342

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Both apps that came with the ROM (i.e. the built in camera app) and apps from the play store have trouble finding the SD card. This is where the symlinks point:

Code:
u0_a79@vigor:/ $ ls -l | grep sdcard
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2014-01-03 14:31 external_sd -> /storage/sdcard1
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2014-01-03 14:31 sdcard -> /storage/sdcard0
d---r-x--- root     sdcard_r          2014-01-03 14:31 storage
Is this correct or should they be switched?

Maybe I should just find another ROM...
It looks correct... I would try Tachyon or LiquidSmooth and see if you still have issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket

zephyrcat
Old
(Last edited by zephyrcat; 8th January 2014 at 08:03 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
It looks correct... I would try Tachyon or LiquidSmooth and see if you still have issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I just switched over to Tachyon. Still having the same trouble. Built in camera app says no external storage available and crashes... Are there any other possible causes? I've checked that the microsd card is properly seated in its spot...

By the way, under Settings > Storage, I can see the SD card including it's capacity and free space. I can also successfully unmount and remount the SD card from there. Still doesn't help with the apps, though.

Thanks!

acejavelin
Old
Thanks Meter 342

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I just switched over to Tachyon. Still having the same trouble. Built in camera app says no external storage available and crashes... Are there any other possible causes? I've checked that the microsd card is properly seated in its spot...

By the way, under Settings > Storage, I can see the SD card including it's capacity and free space. I can also successfully unmount and remount the SD card from there. Still doesn't help with the apps, though.

Thanks!
What about the internal storage, does it show up in Storage twice? In JB ROMs there should be a section in Settings->Storage at the top labeled "Internal Storage" 2.34GB (this is where apps go when installed), then a little farther down "SD Card" xx.xxGB depending on card size (this is the external SD), then farther down yet there is another section labeled "Internal Storage" 10.48GB (this is the actual internal storage or sdcard0).

If not, you lost your internal storage, try reformatting it in recovery, reformatting in Windows Disk Manager, or repartition the internal storage with CWM/TWRP... last resort, run an official RUU (the exe version, not the flashable ZIP ones).

zephyrcat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
What about the internal storage, does it show up in Storage twice? In JB ROMs there should be a section in Settings->Storage at the top labeled "Internal Storage" 2.34GB (this is where apps go when installed), then a little farther down "SD Card" xx.xxGB depending on card size (this is the external SD), then farther down yet there is another section labeled "Internal Storage" 10.48GB (this is the actual internal storage or sdcard0).

If not, you lost your internal storage, try reformatting it in recovery, reformatting in Windows Disk Manager, or repartition the internal storage with CWM/TWRP... last resort, run an official RUU (the exe version, not the flashable ZIP ones).
Ahh... that would seem to be the problem. Or at least a problem.

I'm not sure how to fix it, though. TWRP says it can't mount the internal storage (and, thus, cannot wipe it). How else can I go about wiping it?

Thanks again for all the help!
The Following User Says Thank You to zephyrcat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

abby_nitewolf
Old
Thanks Meter 129
In these situations i start from scratch. Lol. But that's just me.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk
Sent from a PokeBall
Bricked HTC REZOUND

zephyrcat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby_nitewolf View Post
In these situations i start from scratch. Lol. But that's just me.

Sent from my Rezound on Tachyon using Tapatalk
I don't mind starting from scratch. I don't have anything important on my SD card that isn't backed up. I'm not sure how to go about wiping the SD card, though. Neither Android nor TWRP recognizes the SD card, so I can't wipe it. Do I need to switch to a different recovery or something?

Thanks again!