Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,704 Members 52,731 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Installed 4.1.2 ROM over Android 4.3 rooted stock ROM.

Tip us?

leapfrog
Old
(Last edited by leapfrog; 19th January 2014 at 11:42 PM.) Reason: wording
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Installed 4.1.2 ROM over Android 4.3 rooted stock ROM.

To all,

I had some problems with tethering two weeks ago. I usually don't really care about upgrade but because of connectivity issue. I went ahead and updated my SGH-T999 to Android v4.3.

I was on Android 4.1.2 rooted. In any case, tethering is now inoperable. VPN connection speedtest is horrendous. I have it rooted using root66 method. I have been using TrevE Mod Wifi Tether App before but it's now longer working. I also tried purchase "Wifi Tether Router" and it was useless.

My Warranty Bit is now 1 but I don't really care about the warranty. I owned the phone almost 2 years now and didn't buy any insurance so insurance is irrelevant.

What I really really need help on is either to be able to tether again or revert it back to 4.1.2. From reading some of the threads, it said that once you go to 4.3 you can't Odin any previous releases. But it seemed you can flash previous release ROM.

Here are the some questions:

1. Is there any way that I can fix tethering with 4.3? With or without VPN connection.
2. Is there any way, I can flash 4.1.2 ROM on to my phone and would this allow me to tether again?

Thank you for all your help!!!

--leapfrog (not too happy froggy)

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3334

DONATE TO ME
Please do not try to downgrade to 4.3. The upgrade is one way. If you tried to downgrade, you will get a expensive paperweight.

As to the tether, I can't say for a fact. I do believe rooting would help. I have never used Tether, let alone on 4.3. I do know, there are several network issues with 4.3

leapfrog
Old
(Last edited by leapfrog; 20th January 2014 at 08:34 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
Please do not try to downgrade to 4.3. The upgrade is one way. If you tried to downgrade, you will get a expensive paperweight.

As to the tether, I can't say for a fact. I do believe rooting would help. I have never used Tether, let alone on 4.3. I do know, there are several network issues with 4.3
Thank for the advise, Persues71. A working phone is definitely better than a dead one.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3334

DONATE TO ME
Since you don't care for Warranty, would you consider a custom Rom ? Practically most of the AOSP roms have built in Tether. Working tether at that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leapfrog
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Since you don't care for Warranty, would you consider a custom Rom ? Practically most of the AOSP roms have built in Tether. Working tether at that.
Thanks, I am looking into flashing DocHoliday77's StockMod ROM. I will need to review the thread carefully before proceed cuz I sure don't want to brick it.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3334

DONATE TO ME
FWIW, he has included a special zip for enabling native Tether.

leapfrog
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
FWIW, he has included a special zip for enabling native Tether.
I will definitely check it out. Crossing my fingers that all will go fine this weekend.