Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,068 Members 46,729 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] MAC address collusions on clones

Tip us?
 
Brachism
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Question [Q] MAC address collusions on clones

Disclaimer: I just started ‘playing’ a few weeks ago in the realm of tablets and rooting.

I have 6 Kindle Fires cloned from a master running Jelly Bean cm-10.1.3-20130923-otter. The method I used apparently has resulted in all of them presenting the same MAC address to the router. The result is only the latest one to establish a connection can communicate on the network. Although the ‘idme’ command display unique MAC addresses for each it seems the OS isn’t passing those unique MAC’s along. App solutions like ‘MacMan’ work but I’d really like a more permanent OS level solution if possible.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Backstory: A family member gave me a no longer used 1st gen Kindle a few weeks ago. I installed Jelly Bean, Gapps, the apps I wanted, and customized the look and feel. I created a crude wall mount, fished the USB cable through the wall. Surprisingly everything worked well on the first try and all was great. So great I rushed out a snapped up 5 more Kindles on Craigslist to repurpose them as additional poor-man home automation panels. To clone I used COTR->nandroid->backup/recovery to copy my ‘gold image’ from the first to the other 5. After cloning the only tweaks I made were setting unique hostnames, Wi-Fi direct names, and static IP addresses on each. It wasn’t till I mounted them all I noticed the MAC address issue.
 
Brachism
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
I found a similar thread at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1406845&page=4

From a quick read it seems their solution was to use a hex editor at a specific location on one of the binaries to update the MAC. They were using CM7. I’ll research and experiment a bit to see if I can leverage a similar solution in CM10.

Also others mentioned using the idme to set the MAC address. This does change what idme reports but has no effect on what the OS is presenting to the router.

I’ll update my findings here.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes