Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,633 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Next phone?

Tip us?

rossida
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default Next phone?

Hey guys. So my upgrade will be in March which isn't far away and I'm looking for a new phone. I'm very disappointed with the gs4 on Verizon since the bootloader is locked. Yes, I have safestrap but I love AOSP vs Touchwiz. I've looked up some phones coming out this year such as gs5 and HTC one+ (m8). I really liked the design of the HTC one and wish I bought that over the gs4. Just wondering what you guys would get next. The gs5 or something different since i almost feel like Samsung is following apple's tracks. Also do you even like the gs4? Let me know what you all think..

gnubian
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossida View Post
Hey guys. So my upgrade will be in March which isn't far away and I'm looking for a new phone. I'm very disappointed with the gs4 on Verizon since the bootloader is locked. Yes, I have safestrap but I love AOSP vs Touchwiz. I've looked up some phones coming out this year such as gs5 and HTC one+ (m8). I really liked the design of the HTC one and wish I bought that over the gs4. Just wondering what you guys would get next. The gs5 or something different since i almost feel like Samsung is following apple's tracks. Also do you even like the gs4? Let me know what you all think..
Love the GS4 (besides the whole bootloader lock down) but I'd be willing to wager that the gs5 will be just as if not more locked down.

rossida
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubian View Post
Love the GS4 (besides the whole bootloader lock down) but I'd be willing to wager that the gs5 will be just as if not more locked down.
Thats what I'm assuming too. So i am guessing you are getting the s5?

richii0207
Old
Thanks Meter 435
Love what S4...what bootloader? I had my best times with the DX and its locked bootloader. This whole BL thing is so overblown with the S4. Repetitive threads and posts about it...it's like a broken record.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to richii0207 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tech_head
Old
Thanks Meter 263
Don't like Samsung's attitude toward customers.
Probably won't buy another Samsung device. Like the device, don't like the company.
We'll see with the GS5. I doubt I'll bite.
Having the microSD support is compelling but, I can get by without it now that Meenova has the keychain USB-OTG adapter from microSD cards.
We'll see what LG and HTC come out with.
I like the Sony, but Verizon and Sony are like oil and water.

spotmark
Old
Thanks Meter 433
From all reports, the S5 is going to be a beast. I, for one, plan on picking it up the day it's released.
A cigar is man's opportunity to reflect on the past, and dream about the future.
Spotmark

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1297

DONATE TO ME
I'll probably stay with my MDK S4 that's on its way to me for a long while. If that one should break and I need a new one... Hard to say what I'd do. The S4 is awesome, and I'm sure the S5 will be an amazing phone, but like stated above, let's be honest, they're going to have that S5 locked up so tight its probably going to be hard to do anything on it.

If the G2 has the removable battery and external SD card, I'd be all over it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
I'll probably stay with my MDK S4 that's on its way to me for a long while. If that one should break and I need a new one... Hard to say what I'd do. The S4 is awesome, and I'm sure the S5 will be an amazing phone, but like stated above, let's be honest, they're going to have that S5 locked up so tight its probably going to be hard to do anything on it.

If the G2 has the removable battery and external SD card, I'd be all over it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I'll probably keep my s4 For 2 or 3 years...that's my usual period. Besides, the improvements become less and less.

safestrap enabled, Hyperdrive driven
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13661
There be a sticky for these discussions...http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2406733
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?

The Following User Says Thank You to Naddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe