Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,633 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Next phone?

Tip us?
 
rossida
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 114
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Next phone?

Hey guys. So my upgrade will be in March which isn't far away and I'm looking for a new phone. I'm very disappointed with the gs4 on Verizon since the bootloader is locked. Yes, I have safestrap but I love AOSP vs Touchwiz. I've looked up some phones coming out this year such as gs5 and HTC one+ (m8). I really liked the design of the HTC one and wish I bought that over the gs4. Just wondering what you guys would get next. The gs5 or something different since i almost feel like Samsung is following apple's tracks. Also do you even like the gs4? Let me know what you all think..
 
gnubian
Old
#2  
gnubian's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 110
Posts: 187
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Asheville
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossida View Post
Hey guys. So my upgrade will be in March which isn't far away and I'm looking for a new phone. I'm very disappointed with the gs4 on Verizon since the bootloader is locked. Yes, I have safestrap but I love AOSP vs Touchwiz. I've looked up some phones coming out this year such as gs5 and HTC one+ (m8). I really liked the design of the HTC one and wish I bought that over the gs4. Just wondering what you guys would get next. The gs5 or something different since i almost feel like Samsung is following apple's tracks. Also do you even like the gs4? Let me know what you all think..
Love the GS4 (besides the whole bootloader lock down) but I'd be willing to wager that the gs5 will be just as if not more locked down.
 
rossida
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Posts: 114
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubian View Post
Love the GS4 (besides the whole bootloader lock down) but I'd be willing to wager that the gs5 will be just as if not more locked down.
Thats what I'm assuming too. So i am guessing you are getting the s5?
 
richii0207
Old
#4  
richii0207's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 435
Posts: 1,123
Join Date: Dec 2010
Love what S4...what bootloader? I had my best times with the DX and its locked bootloader. This whole BL thing is so overblown with the S4. Repetitive threads and posts about it...it's like a broken record.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to richii0207 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
tech_head
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 263
Posts: 926
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: California
Don't like Samsung's attitude toward customers.
Probably won't buy another Samsung device. Like the device, don't like the company.
We'll see with the GS5. I doubt I'll bite.
Having the microSD support is compelling but, I can get by without it now that Meenova has the keychain USB-OTG adapter from microSD cards.
We'll see what LG and HTC come out with.
I like the Sony, but Verizon and Sony are like oil and water.
 
spotmark
Old
#6  
spotmark's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 433
Posts: 1,344
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts
From all reports, the S5 is going to be a beast. I, for one, plan on picking it up the day it's released.
A cigar is man's opportunity to reflect on the past, and dream about the future.
Spotmark
 
Mistertac
Old
#7  
Mistertac's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1297
Posts: 3,009
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Springfield, Ma

 
DONATE TO ME
I'll probably stay with my MDK S4 that's on its way to me for a long while. If that one should break and I need a new one... Hard to say what I'd do. The S4 is awesome, and I'm sure the S5 will be an amazing phone, but like stated above, let's be honest, they're going to have that S5 locked up so tight its probably going to be hard to do anything on it.

If the G2 has the removable battery and external SD card, I'd be all over it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
decaturbob
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 789
Posts: 2,304
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Decatur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
I'll probably stay with my MDK S4 that's on its way to me for a long while. If that one should break and I need a new one... Hard to say what I'd do. The S4 is awesome, and I'm sure the S5 will be an amazing phone, but like stated above, let's be honest, they're going to have that S5 locked up so tight its probably going to be hard to do anything on it.

If the G2 has the removable battery and external SD card, I'd be all over it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I'll probably keep my s4 For 2 or 3 years...that's my usual period. Besides, the improvements become less and less.

safestrap enabled, Hyperdrive driven
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3
The Following User Says Thank You to decaturbob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Naddict
Old
#9  
Naddict's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13661
Posts: 8,345
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: 28.2S, 92.1W
There be a sticky for these discussions...http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2406733
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?

The Following User Says Thank You to Naddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes