Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,629 Members 53,995 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best CPU Governor

Tip us?

copitlory
Old
(Last edited by copitlory; 27th January 2014 at 03:13 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Angry Best CPU Governor

The Best CPU Governor for Performance and also Battery life seems to be Interactive or Intellidemand.
For indepth Kernel Benchmarks and CPU Governor tests go to my thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2625656

Here are SunSpider 1.0.2 benchmarks to prove the point.
(Lower is better)
ondemand: 1,200ms
intellidemand: 540ms
interactive: 520ms
conservative: 650ms
iPhone 5s:450ms

Conclusion: It is amazing that with this phone we can achieve performance that is close to the 64bit processor of the iPhone 5S. Screw Apple. (Just Kidding) Interactive is the best CPU governor. The end.

Lastly, you may wonder why I only posted Sunspider Benchmark results because that is only a javascript test and doesn't prove how the kernel will perform overall. First of all let me state that those numbers are after extensive testing under numerous different Stock and KitKat roms and Kernel combinations. Secondly, in terms of AnTuTu and Quadrant scores, you can expect them to be the same across all the CPU governors above. But the sunspider can be helpful in gauging browser performance. And since most users browse the web on their smartphones, it is wise to switch away from the default ondemand or ondemanplus which is a much more conservative version of ondemand, and instead use intellidemand or interactive or conservative.
It is interesting that conservative provides good performance and sunspider results. Maybe if you really want to be sure you have good battery life, you should stick with conservative. Although in all honesty, battery life is dependent on your brightness, and subsequently amount of screen on time, and then of course, the amount of CPU intensive tasks you perform like gaming, or Web Browsing. So differences between governors and battery life will be minimal if you do not adjust your user behavior...

I'm using a LS980 Sprint LG G2. I suspect that across variants results should be the same since SoC are based on the Snapdragon 800.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to copitlory For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steamer86
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Conservative micro stuttered too much for my liking. Stuck to interactive.