XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] About LG Tone Ultra HBS-800

Tip us?

Apo11on
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Default [Q] About LG Tone Ultra HBS-800

I own LG Tone headset and a while back decided to upgrade to Tone+ because of "advanced multipoint" Bluetooth feature. The device has absolutely horrendous bug, which renders the multipoint feature completely unusable. Once you have 2 devices connected and one of them happens to be cell phone - you cannot take your conversation elsewhere because as soon as you move out of range of the other connected device the headset keeps repeating "out of range...trying to connect" literally every 10 seconds, and while its doing that it mutes the phone line, so 50% of the phone conversation is missed on both ends of the call.

I sit in a crowded office and I have my phone and either tablet or laptop connected to the headset. Once I receive a call - I have to step outside to take it. As soon as I do that the "out of range...trying to connect" nightmare begins. I called LG support and all they could offer is an apology and a vague promise to submit customer complaint, which may or may not be taken into account for the future headsets. LG confirmed there is no way to disable that ridiculous notification and muting the phone line and there will be no firmware update to address that. After several days of trying to live with this horrible bug and trying to make it work I gave up and got RMA from amazon and sent the headset back

My questions is: can anyone, who actually owns the new LG Tone Ultra HBS-800 please check if this new model has the same issue? Looking for answer from an actual owner or LG employee - someone, who actually knows. LG support has not been able to answer this question for 2 weeks now - ticket still open and pending.

I'm not interested in speculations or suggestions for another headset.

Thanks in advance.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900T
Rom: WiCKED KitKat V1.1
Kernel: Compulsion Kernel V11
Recovery: TWRP V2.7.0.0
Baseband: N900TUVUCNB4
MicroSDXC: SanDisk Ultra 128GB
Battery: Stock 3200mAh Li-ion

Sony Xperia Tablet Z SGP312
Rom: PACMAN nightly 3.3.2014
Kernel: 3.4.0 AOKP
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Apo11on
Old
(Last edited by Apo11on; 7th January 2014 at 08:20 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
Since no one replied, including LG support, I went ahead, bought the headset and tested it myself. Turns out, despite me spending many hours on the phone and email with LG support 6 months ago when I tested HBS-730, reporting this issue, having it escalated and doing everything I can to make sure it gets fixed in the next headset in the series (which is this one, HBS-800) those LG morons failed to do anything about it and the exact same issue as described above is present in the new Tone Ultra headset - BUYERS BEWARE!!!

I've already returned mine for full refund.

Apo11on
Old
(Last edited by Apo11on; 25th January 2014 at 07:09 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 99
For those of you, who like this form factor for a BT headset as much as I do, and are looking for an alternative to LG Tone series, which doesn't have the nasty defect described above - check out HV-800 headset. It looks identical to LG Tone series headsets, and it works much better than HBS-700, HBS-730 and HBS-800 combined and it costs literally 5x less than HBS-800. I've bought and tried all 4 models, so I can compare.

As you know, there are 2 Bluetooth profiles these headsets must support, in order to be used in stereo mode for phone and music:

1. Phone Audio
2. Media Audio

HV-800 supports multiple phone audio profiles, so you will be able to pair and connect it to 2 phones simultaneously. It supports only 1 media audio profile at a time, so you will be able to connect it only to 1 device, which plays music at a time. That is still way better than all 3 LG Tone headsets, because HBS-700 doesnt support multipoint connections at all, and HBS-730, HBS-800 have this nasty multipoint defect. Also, switching media audio connections with this headset is a breeze - it disconnects from one device and connects to another instantly, with no issues. LG Tone on the other hand, has a major firmware issue reconnecting to different media devices - it hangs, freezes, refuses to disconnect from one and reconnect to another. Even turning it off doesnt help - it seems to let the death grip of the previous media device connection go whenever it chooses, and sometimes you have to wait like half an hour before it does that and lets you connect the headset to another device via media audio profile.

In conclusion: after spending considerable time comparing the capabilities of these headsets to use & switch multiple Bluetooth connections I can say that between 4 of these headsets the HV-800 is by far and away the best headset in this regard, and definitively my choice, until same form factor headset with proper media audio multipoint connection support comes along.

The next one I'll be trying is Sony SBH80. It comes out in March

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N900T
Rom: WiCKED KitKat V1.1
Kernel: Compulsion Kernel V11
Recovery: TWRP V2.7.0.0
Baseband: N900TUVUCNB4
Battery: Stock 3200mAh Li-ion

Sony Xperia Tablet Z SGP312
Rom: PACMAN nightly 3.3.2014
Kernel: 3.4.0 AOKP
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0
The Following User Says Thank You to Apo11on For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]