Post Reply

[Q] OTA or kies update on rooted Note 3?

24th January 2014, 01:05 AM   |  #1  
Dahdoul's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
What will happen if I update my rooted note3 through Kies or OTA? Is it safe?

I know that I could flash it through odin.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
24th January 2014, 02:15 AM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 27
 
194 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Update will fall to success

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
25th January 2014, 06:46 AM   |  #3  
Dahdoul's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
191 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1991

Update will fall to success

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

Did you try it before?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
25th January 2014, 07:03 AM   |  #4  
Member
Canada / Thailand
Thanks Meter: 29
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
You can go to the phone settings > general > about device > software update and click on Update. It will tell you that your phone has been modified and will basically tell you to F.O. So to answer your question - no you can't use OTA any longer.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Nothin bad will happen, just try it yourself.
25th January 2014, 10:14 AM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG-FFS

You can go to the phone settings > general > about device > software update and click on Update. It will tell you that your phone has been modified and will basically tell you to F.O. So to answer your question - no you can't use OTA any longer.

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Nothin bad will happen, just try it yourself.

you can set your status from modified to official using wanam xposed so you can ota,
but you will loose your root and got updated bootloader when you do ota.
25th January 2014, 10:40 AM   |  #6  
Member
Canada / Thailand
Thanks Meter: 29
 
62 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Probably, but I wouldn't update to 4.4.2 anyways, or not yet at least as it's riddled with too many bugs.
25th January 2014, 10:50 AM   |  #7  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag York
Thanks Meter: 1,430
 
3,513 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahdoul

What will happen if I update my rooted note3 through Kies or OTA? Is it safe?

I know that I could flash it through odin.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If your status is Official via Wanam it'll download, however it will fail on the install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahdoul

Did you try it before?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idanawi

you can set your status from modified to official using wanam xposed so you can ota,
but you will loose your root and got updated bootloader when you do ota.

It fails on the install.
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th January 2014, 11:00 AM   |  #8  
vndnguyen's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 745
 
1,931 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahdoul

What will happen if I update my rooted note3 through Kies or OTA? Is it safe?

I know that I could flash it through odin.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

There was a topic about How to keep root and get OTA update. It is here.

Steps:

1. Open SuperSU settings, scroll down to the bottom, Enable Pro
2. Check Survival mode
3. Uncheck Enable Superuser
4. Install OTA update
5. After reboot, Enable Superuser
6. Disable Survival mode

Done

Be noted that you have to purchase Superuser Pro for this to work, and you have to reboot after upgrading to Pro.
Also if you have modified your ROM e.g deleted system apps or Verizon crap this method will fail unless you restore them.
The Following User Says Thank You to vndnguyen For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th January 2014, 11:09 AM   |  #9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 35
 
247 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Ok. I tried the OTA too, some time ago and after downloading it failed to install. My N3 is rooted and I thought I'd try anyway. But did anyone try to use kies? Some time ago I connected to kies and it told me that my phone wouldn't be supported. I think I installed another region. Yesterday I tried and it told me there was a new firmware although it's not 4.4.2 yet. So it would be interesting to know if it would install after download.

Some other thing: I have something like a mnt folder and one or two other folders like mnt_1. Just like if you update windows and don't do a clean install. How can I do a clean install on my phone once kitkat is released for DBT region?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mikegrmn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Galaxy Note 3 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank