Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,702 Members 53,841 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S4 Water Damaged - Hard Reset

Tip us?

alexmccubbin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Galaxy S4 Water Damaged - Hard Reset

Hi, right I have damaged my S4 with water to the extent that when I switch it on all of the writing is pink and the touchscreen is unusable. I am trying to hard reset it as I am going to sell it as a damaged handset. The problem I have is i'm trying to reset through the volume up, home and power key method to access the recovery menu. When it goes into recovery, the screen then has a series of white lines running from top to bottom and nothing is readable on the screen. Any suggestions as to how I can reset this so I can remove Facebook, Gmail and other account details?

Zanna
Old
(Last edited by Zanna; 25th January 2014 at 01:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 15
If you are able to get the recovery menu (stock), steps for factory reset are:

Vol.down x3
Power
Vol.Down x7
Power

after a few second press Power again to reboot.

If the screen is totally unreadable and recovery is not usable you can try via Kies. Connect the phone via USB, open Kies and from Tools menu choose Firmware Upgrade and Initialization.

alexmccubbin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
If you are able to get the recovery menu (stock), steps for factory reset are:

Vol.down x3
Power
Vol.Down x7
Power

after a few second press Power again to reboot.

If the screen is totally unreadable and recovery is not usable you can try via Kies. Connect the phone via USB, open Kies and from Tools menu choose Firmware Upgrade and Initialization.
I never thought about using Kies actually, I'll give that a try tonight after work and see if I can do it through there. I take it the whole pink writing and unusable touchscreen is something that is not likely to sort itself out after further drying out?

Zanna
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Hard to say with this type of accident but if I had to bet I would put my money on "definitely dead".
Try the recovery menu also, if you are able to get the recovery menu means that Volume keys and power are working, you should be able to reset your phone from recovery.
Good luck