Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,448 Members 40,704 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CWM recovery update

Tip us?

lakotamm
Old
(Last edited by lakotamm; 24th January 2014 at 10:08 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default CWM recovery update

Hi.
I have an issue with my Desire bravo. I can't install Evervolv's KK 4.4.
A year ago I used unrevoked3 to root my phone. It installed CWM 2.5.0.7. I had tried many 4.2.2 ROMs and than decided to stick with MildWild.
Now I want to try KK4.4 but I simply can't install it. CWM always writes: Status 0. Installation arborted.
I tried to update CWM through ROM manager but it won't update it. It writes that current version is 5.0.2.0, however when I boot into Recovery I can see that I have the same CWM.

Can somebody help me please?
Thanks.

jmcclue
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakotamm View Post
Hi.
I have an issue with my Desire bravo. I can't install Evervolv's KK 4.4.
A year ago I used unrevoked3 to root my phone. It installed CWM 2.5.0.7. I had tried many 4.2.2 ROMs and than decided to stick with MildWild.
Now I want to try KK4.4 but I simply can't install it. CWM always writes: Status 0. Installation arborted.
I tried to update CWM through ROM manager but it won't update it. It writes that current version is 5.0.2.0, however when I boot into Recovery I can see that I have the same CWM.

Can somebody help me please?
Thanks.
flash latest 4ext recovery, latest update changes were made to be compatible with kitkat.

lakotamm
Old
(Last edited by lakotamm; 25th January 2014 at 12:00 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcclue View Post
flash latest 4ext recovery, latest update changes were made to be compatible with kitkat.
I tried to flash it without success. Than I went to Hboot and it wrote that I had S-ON (that's strange). So I used Revolutionary to S-OFF my phone. It flashed CWM 4.0.1.4 and waw - everything works!

eddiehk6
Old
Thanks Meter 582
Quote:
I tried to flash it without success. Than I went to Hboot and it wrote that I have S-ON (that's strange). So I used Revolutionary to S-OFF my phone. It flashed CWM 4.0.1.4 and waw - everything works!
Lastly, uninstall ROM manager, it's bad for Desire. You don't need it.

As long as you only use CWM to install / wipe you'll be ok, do not use it to partition your sd card.

4EXT is generally a better recovery, and is also recommended for partitioning, you can install it using the 4EXT app or flash it through fastboot commands.

Now that you're S-OFF it's much more powerful (e.g. you can change hboot). You were wasting a lot of memory while S-ON with stock hboot and mildwild.
Device: Nexus 5 | ROM: SlimKat | Recovery: PhilZ Touch
Retired: HTC Desire

lakotamm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehk6 View Post
Lastly, uninstall ROM manager, it's bad for Desire. You don't need it.

As long as you only use CWM to install / wipe you'll be ok, do not use it to partition your sd card.

4EXT is generally a better recovery, and is also recommended for partitioning, you can install it using the 4EXT app or flash it through fastboot commands.

Now that you're S-OFF it's much more powerful (e.g. you can change hboot). You were wasting a lot of memory while S-ON with stock hboot and mildwild.
I have already flashed 4EXT.

What's the advantage of using custom hboots? I think that Evervolv's roms can be flashed only on stock hboot.

I have flashed Evervolv's nightly KK4.4. It seems to work OK (but I liked Jelly Bean's interface more).

Thank you guys.

eddiehk6
Old
Thanks Meter 582
Quote:
I have already flashed 4EXT.

What's the advantage of using custom hboots? I think that Evervolv's roms can be flashed only on stock hboot.

I have flashed Evervolv's nightly KK4.4. It seems to work OK (but I liked Jelly Bean's interface more).

Thank you guys.
custom hboots simply allow for more space, one of the primary reasons for gaining s-off and rooting in the first place

a custom hboot generally has a smaller /system and /cache and therefore more /data (internal memory)

depending on which mildwild rom, you only filled 100 to 130MB of the 250MB /system partition on stock hboot, which wastes max ~150MB. You could have used cm7r2 hboot or similar to nearly double the /data partition and hence more space for apps.

You're right though, now beside the point for ROMs like Evervolv which require stock hboot....
Device: Nexus 5 | ROM: SlimKat | Recovery: PhilZ Touch
Retired: HTC Desire