Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,492 Members 39,730 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can only boot to custom recovery via ROm Manager

Tip us?
 
mannysroot
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 103
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default [Q] Can only boot to custom recovery via ROm Manager

HI

I have the i9505 samsung s4.

I managed to root it via odin, and flashed the Team win recovery as part of the process. I downloaded root checker and it shows that the device is rooted.

However, when i turn the device off and then try and boot to the custom recover I am finding it impossible.

I hold the volume down, home key then press the power button and keep them pressed. THe phone keeps going to the odin download mode and no further etc. However, I can get to the custom recovery via rom manager. What am i doing wrong??

Using rom manager is fine, however if something goes wrong during a custom rom flash then i will need to use the buttons to boot to custom recovery

Please help

Manny
 
Repulsa
Old
#2  
Repulsa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1888
Posts: 1,811
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Your Mom's crib

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysroot View Post
HI

I have the i9505 samsung s4.

I managed to root it via odin, and flashed the Team win recovery as part of the process. I downloaded root checker and it shows that the device is rooted.

However, when i turn the device off and then try and boot to the custom recover I am finding it impossible.

I hold the volume down, home key then press the power button and keep them pressed. THe phone keeps going to the odin download mode and no further etc. However, I can get to the custom recovery via rom manager. What am i doing wrong??

Using rom manager is fine, however if something goes wrong during a custom rom flash then i will need to use the buttons to boot to custom recovery

Please help

Manny
Try to turn off your phone manually press and hold power+volumeUp When you see the rebooting recovery on top of your screen (blue) let go of your fingers mate

Sent from Hell 😱
 
Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.

Disclaimer "Proceed with extreme caution as i take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own Risk"

All 4.4.2 GT-I9505 Modem / LTE / Bootloader

 
mannysroot
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 103
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
Try to turn off your phone manually press and hold power+volumeUp When you see the rebooting recovery on top of your screen (blue) let go of your fingers mate

Sent from Hell 😱
Hi that's what I did but I don't see a blue logo at any point ... Just goes straight to the Odin download screen. Strange that I can get to recovery via Rom manager
 
Repulsa
Old
#4  
Repulsa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1888
Posts: 1,811
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Your Mom's crib

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysroot View Post
Hi that's what I did but I don't see a blue logo at any point ... Just goes straight to the Odin download screen. Strange that I can get to recovery via Rom manager
Try to flash philz recovery via odin then try to boot into recovery and when it goes fine try to flash the custom recovery you want.

Sent from Hell 😱
 
Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.

Disclaimer "Proceed with extreme caution as i take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own Risk"

All 4.4.2 GT-I9505 Modem / LTE / Bootloader

 
mannysroot
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 103
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
Try to flash philz recovery via odin then try to boot into recovery and when it goes fine try to flash the custom recovery you want.

Sent from Hell 😱
Tried that and still no difference can boot to the philz recovery from the power options of phone but not using the buttons. Is there something within the phones options I need to enable or disable ?
 
Repulsa
Old
(Last edited by Repulsa; 25th January 2014 at 05:52 PM.)
#6  
Repulsa's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1888
Posts: 1,811
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Your Mom's crib

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysroot View Post
Tried that and still no difference can boot to the philz recovery from the power options of phone but not using the buttons. Is there something within the phones options I need to enable or disable ?
If you flash Philz recovery you can boot only when you turn off your phone and by Hold and pressing Power+Volumeup . Im Guessing your asking the Extended Power menu Option by Pressing Power and choose restart > There should be Reboot Option IE Reboot,Recovery,Downloadmode. Mate is your phone rooted? If you want an Extended power menu option try to install WannamXposed , and Enable it from there, Make sure to follow hes Tutorial. Have a nice day.
 
Quote:
That awkward moment when you're reading this comment and can't stop reading because you are so intrigued by it,that you keep reading,and then you realize it says nothing important.

Disclaimer "Proceed with extreme caution as i take no responsibility for any damages to your phone. Do it at your own Risk"

All 4.4.2 GT-I9505 Modem / LTE / Bootloader

 
mannysroot
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 103
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsa View Post
If you flash Philz recovery you can boot only when you turn off your phone and by Hold and pressing Power+Volumeup . Im Guessing your asking the Extended Power menu Option by Pressing Power and choose restart > There should be Reboot Option IE Reboot,Recovery,Downloadmode. Mate is your phone rooted? If you want an Extended power menu option try to install WannamXposed , and Enable it from there, Make sure to follow hes Tutorial. Have a nice day.
hi it is the same with both custom and stock rom. I am now running paranoid 4.4.2.

The issue is that I need an option to get to recovery using the buttons. There is no issues getting to recovery from the power menu once the phone is running

It is really annoying me now

Thanks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Monitor What Your Phone’s Camera Sees with Android Wear

Having a smart device strapped to your wrist certainly has its merits. A … more

Mod Lets You Have Stereo Speakers on Your Sony Xperia Z1 (Sort Of)

The stereo speakers onthe Sony Xperia Z2areprobably a relatively large … more

Give Your Screen Some Color with HexaTime Live Wallpaper

We don’t often cover very many live wallpapers here on the XDA Portal. You may … more

Android Wear App Review: Command Google Now with Commandr – XDA Developer TV

OK Google. Make Me a sandwich. How many times have you … more