Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] ExFAT is read-only on GS4 (i9505)

OP duckofdeath

25th January 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
I've got a 32 GB SD card which I've formatted to exFAT through Windows. The card works as expected when inserted in my PC; I can add, remove and change files. Though, I can not delete files I copied to it from my Windows PC when it's in my GS4, using stock Android 4.3. I can read files and strangely apps can read/write/delete files they create themselves. The problem is, if I delete a file in for instance ES File Explorer or any media player, the UI pretends to delete it (no errors given), but when I refresh the view, the file is still there.

I'm a bit stuck as it's a bit annoying having to move the card to my PC to delete files created on my PC.

Is there a low level difference in how Windows and Android devices handle exFAT? I can't format the card to exFAT from within the phone, it will only default to FAT32. I tried to download the "Official SD card formatter" from sdcard.org, but that one also defaults to FAT32 on 32GB SD cards.

Has anyone else had this problem? Not being able to delete files on an exFAT SD card? If so, how did you get around it without rooting the phone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread