Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,733 Members 53,844 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

umm still on mi9

Tip us?

Billyjack555
Old
Thanks Meter 0
[QUOTE=droidstyle;49712584]Never delete...buy the app titanium backup pro and freeze apps, that way if you accidently freeze something that you wish you had not, you can always defrost it.[COLOR="Silver"]

I actually had a backup on my sd card but inadvertently lost it when I used it in another device and reformatted it. For folks with deleted system apps for which backups aren't an option, is there a path forward to update? Or am I just destined to stay on MI9? I'm actually happy with MI9 and haven't had the call quality/wifi issues, but am looking ahead to the kitkat update.

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjack555 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidstyle View Post
Never delete...buy the app titanium backup pro and freeze apps, that way if you accidently freeze something that you wish you had not, you can always defrost it.
I actually had a backup on my sd card but inadvertently lost it when I used it in another device and reformatted it. For folks with deleted system apps for which backups aren't an option, is there a path forward to update? Or am I just destined to stay on MI9? I'm actually happy with MI9 and haven't had the call quality/wifi issues, but am looking ahead to the kitkat update.
You can dig the missing system app .apk, .odex files out of the Odin MI9 tarball and put them back in place. They will be in the system.img.ext4 image file... which needs to be uncompressed using the Android SDK tool "simg2img", and then loopback mounted.

There is a way to do this using Windows (I think I saw a thread over in the 2012 Nexus 7 forum documenting that procedure), but frankly that's just lame for an Android rooter to behave that way

Or you can make a TiBu Market App/Data backup, use Odin or Kies to install the latest release, re-root and TiBu restore.

BTW (for the future) you can debloat without removing any files by simply 'chmod 000' the targeted .apk & .odex files and reboot. Or you can use Android's built in app disable feature (for foreground apps). This has the same effect as removal, except that you can re enable them anytime you want. The only downside to doing this is if you are tight on space in /system and want to install stuff as system apps so they will survive a factory reset procedure.

good luck
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."
The Following User Says Thank You to bftb0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Billyjack555
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0 View Post
You can dig the missing system app .apk, .odex files out of the Odin MI9 tarball and put them back in place. They will be in the system.img.ext4 image file... which needs to be uncompressed using the Android SDK tool "simg2img", and then loopback mounted.

There is a way to do this using Windows (I think I saw a thread over in the 2012 Nexus 7 forum documenting that procedure), but frankly that's just lame for an Android rooter to behave that way

Or you can make a TiBu Market App/Data backup, use Odin or Kies to install the latest release, re-root and TiBu restore.

BTW (for the future) you can debloat without removing any files by simply 'chmod 000' the targeted .apk & .odex files and reboot. Or you can use Android's built in app disable feature (for foreground apps). This has the same effect as removal, except that you can re enable them anytime you want. The only downside to doing this is if you are tight on space in /system and want to install stuff as system apps so they will survive a factory reset procedure.

good luck
Thanks so much for the response. Just wondering -- would simply returning to stock using this method, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2483380, do the trick?

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 793
Quote:
Thanks so much for the response. Just wondering -- would simply returning to stock using this method, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2483380, do the trick?
The thread you refer to above recommends Root de La Vega following return to Stock via Odin. I thought I saw comments to the effect that on newer VSGN3 releases (e.g. MJE) that rooting method trips the Knox warranty "fuse".

(Somebody correct me if I am wrong about that).

The other thread you are (cross-) posting in, namely az_biker's thread

***Note 3 Root - Recovery - Roms*** step by step

also uses Odin to perform the return-to-stock step, but suggests rooting with Kingo. It will certainly work. (I'm frankly not sure about the security risks of using Kingo).

If you are currently on MJE, you probably have to use the MJE Odin tarball for return-to-stock.

good luck
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."
The Following User Says Thank You to bftb0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Billyjack555
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0 View Post
The thread you refer to above recommends Root de La Vega following return to Stock via Odin. I thought I saw comments to the effect that on newer VSGN3 releases (e.g. MJE) that rooting method trips the Knox warranty "fuse".

(Somebody correct me if I am wrong about that).

The other thread you are (cross-) posting in, namely az_biker's thread

***Note 3 Root - Recovery - Roms*** step by step

also uses Odin to perform the return-to-stock step, but suggests rooting with Kingo. It will certainly work. (I'm frankly not sure about the security risks of using Kingo).

If you are currently on MJE, you probably have to use the MJE Odin tarball for return-to-stock.

good luck
Thanks. I guess I was looking for an easier solution since digging out the system apps from the MI9 tar file increases the margin of error on my end. I'm not expecting to keep root after flashing the tar files, so that's not a concern for me. In reading through the threads it seems that Odin'ing the tar files is the closest thing to a "cure all" if you've messed up your phone somehow. In going through the various threads, your first statement is consistent with what I've deduced -- that for MJ7 and MJE, Root de La Vega isn't an option, only Kingo.

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 793
Quote:
Thanks. I guess I was looking for an easier solution since digging out the system apps from the MI9 tar file increases the margin of error on my end. I'm not expecting to keep root after flashing the tar files, so that's not a concern for me. In reading through the threads it seems that Odin'ing the tar files is the closest thing to a "cure all" if you've messed up your phone somehow. In going through the various threads, your first statement is consistent with what I've deduced -- that for MJ7 and MJE, Root de La Vega isn't an option, only Kingo.
It is possible that you could point Odin at a tar file containing only the MI9 system.img.ext4 file to perform a "dirty flash" on top of your existing setup. I've never tried that, so I'm hesitant to recommend it 100%.

But if it worked it would mean that you wouldn't lose all your apps, data, and configurations. And then you could just use the OTA process to upgrade from MI9. You wouldn't be rooted any longer, but you could certainly re-root if you changed your mind.