Tip us?

phlass
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Trouble installing CWM after OTA 4.3 Update

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice.

I previously had my phone rooted on 4.2 and everything was working great. For some reason I decided to install the OTA 4.3 update before reading here what it did. Before that though, I did a full backup through CWM.

Anyway, I'm now having trouble re-installing CWM to get back into recovery mode and go back to my backup.
When I try flashing it through Odin, it says Failed, and it seems like the phone blocked it because it is a recovery system.

Currently, when I boot up, I get the Custom logo, and when I try to go into recovery mode, it gets blocked and says it's unauthorized software, so I don't think I really installed the update right.

So, is there anyway to get CWM back on the phone to revert to my backup, or is there a way to flash the whole backup from a PC? The file is still intact on my SD card.

Thanks!

SlimSnoopOS
Old
(Last edited by SlimSnoopOS; 25th January 2014 at 04:20 PM.) Reason: Actually provide a solution lol
Thanks Meter 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlass View Post
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice.

I previously had my phone rooted on 4.2 and everything was working great. For some reason I decided to install the OTA 4.3 update before reading here what it did. Before that though, I did a full backup through CWM.

Anyway, I'm now having trouble re-installing CWM to get back into recovery mode and go back to my backup.
When I try flashing it through Odin, it says Failed, and it seems like the phone blocked it because it is a recovery system.

Currently, when I boot up, I get the Custom logo, and when I try to go into recovery mode, it gets blocked and says it's unauthorized software, so I don't think I really installed the update right.

So, is there anyway to get CWM back on the phone to revert to my backup, or is there a way to flash the whole backup from a PC? The file is still intact on my SD card.

Thanks!
There is currently no way for you to flash CWM onto your S3 now that you have TW 4.3 VRUMCL1 update. If you want root, you will need to use Saferoot. If you wish to flash custom roms, you are currently only able to flash custom TW 4.3 roms via the use of SafeStrap. With Safestrap installed, you will be using a customized version of TWRP. Any and all of your CWM backups are incompatible and wasting storage space. Links to everything I just mentioned are contained in our TW 4.3 discussion thread.

Note that when you use Saferoot to gain root access, the tool is in the S4 section however it states that there is nothing in the tool itself that is S4 specific and that it should work on other 4.3 devices. It does work. Search in the discussion thread or in Saferoot thread to see confirmation.

Edit: to work around the Yellow triangle issue, you'll want to use ThePagel's soft brick thread.

Edit #2: Also, being that you are on TW 4.3 update, you absolutely can not downgrade your firmware using pre-existing Odin stock images. You can only use the official, VRUCML1 tar that is about 1 GB.
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable

phlass
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimSnoopOS View Post
There is currently no way for you to flash CWM onto your S3 now that you have TW 4.3 VRUMCL1 update. If you want root, you will need to use Saferoot. If you wish to flash custom roms, you are currently only able to flash custom TW 4.3 roms via the use of SafeStrap. With Safestrap installed, you will be using a customized version of TWRP. Any and all of your CWM backups are incompatible and wasting storage space. Links to everything I just mentioned are contained in our TW 4.3 discussion thread.

Note that when you use Saferoot to gain root access, the tool is in the S4 section however it states that there is nothing in the tool itself that is S4 specific and that it should work on other 4.3 devices. It does work. Search in the discussion thread or in Saferoot thread to see confirmation.

Edit: to work around the Yellow triangle issue, you'll want to use ThePagel's soft brick thread.

Edit #2: Also, being that you are on TW 4.3 update, you absolutely can not downgrade your firmware using pre-existing Odin stock images. You can only use the official, VRUCML1 tar that is about 1 GB.
Ok great. Thanks for the help.

SlimSnoopOS
Old
Thanks Meter 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlass View Post
Ok great. Thanks for the help.
Don't hesitate to post back if you're stuck or need a little more clarification
[VZW] Samsung Galaxy SIII
[last device]
Droid Incroyable