XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile

Tip us?

My2k1rS
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile

Okay, I searched and found no other posts that seemed to answer my question, so here it goes:

I recently changed employment and as a result lost my access discount with VZW. As a result, I couldn't afford their service any longer. I went to Best Buy and bought a burner smartphone so I could try out TMobile's network in my area (a $50 investment after returning the phone itself) I paid off my edge finance plan and ported my family plan over to T-Mobile. Short story, I saved myself $100 a month...o.O...other than no access to 4g service in my area yet, I'm very happy. Call signal is 3 bars stronger at my home than it was with VZW: -85dBm 14asu)

wow...sorry for the rant, here is what I'm looking for help with:

The Rep at the TMo store was able to unlock my device, saving me from buying a new one. This allowed my to plug a TMo SIM into the phone and access their networks without any issue (other than no access to LTE, which doesn't matter since it isn't available in my area yet anyway) I am wondering if it is possible to install the RUU for the TMo version of the One and get OTA's and possibly even access LTE once it gets here? This saves me from going thru the hassle (and financial loss) of selling this device and getting one from TMo.

I get the feeling it's a long shot, but if anyone can figure it out, it would be this community

Any helpful input (even if its to tell me I'm SOL) is welcome.

NotATreoFan
Old
Moderator Committee Developer Committee Working for the Weekend
Thanks Meter 4188
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2k1rS View Post
Okay, I searched and found no other posts that seemed to answer my question, so here it goes:

I recently changed employment and as a result lost my access discount with VZW. As a result, I couldn't afford their service any longer. I went to Best Buy and bought a burner smartphone so I could try out TMobile's network in my area (a $50 investment after returning the phone itself) I paid off my edge finance plan and ported my family plan over to T-Mobile. Short story, I saved myself $100 a month...o.O...other than no access to 4g service in my area yet, I'm very happy. Call signal is 3 bars stronger at my home than it was with VZW: -85dBm 14asu)

The Rep at the TMo store was able to unlock my device, saving me from buying a new one. This allowed my to plug a TMo SIM into the phone and access their networks without any issue (other than no access to LTE, which doesn't matter since it isn't available in my area yet anyway) I am wondering if it is possible to install the RUU for the TMo version of the One and get OTA's and possibly even access LTE once it gets here? This saves me from going thru the hassle (and financial loss) of selling this device and getting one from TMo.

I get the feeling it's a long shot, but if anyone can figure it out, it would be this community

The only way you would be able to gain access to their LTE network is if the phone has the hardware required for their frequencies. The developer edition One ships without T-Mobile LTE support enabled, but since the hardware is physically there, people were able to get on to LTE by flashing a T-Mobile radio to it.

Contact the Moderator Committee with any questions or concerns regarding forum moderation.

Please MENTION me if you require semi-prompt assistance. I may not see posts for several hours.

Twitter | Portal | Forum Moderator List

brholt6
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:

You could turn it in to a paperweight by flashing anything other than stuff made for the Verizon One...no matter what, it's still a Verizon phone. Your best bet would just be selling it and getting a T-Mob phone.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Verizon HTC One - S-off'd
iPhone 4 - Retired (thankfully)
Motorola Droid - Retired

My2k1rS
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I figured as much, but thank you both for your input.

I'll deal with my almost-fully-functional unit until the next gen One comes out later on this year

brholt6
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
I figured as much, but thank you both for your input.

I'll deal with my almost-fully-functional unit until the next gen One comes out later on this year
That's a good call...that thing should be pretty awesome. Too bad my wife hates my tech obsession

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Verizon HTC One - S-off'd
iPhone 4 - Retired (thankfully)
Motorola Droid - Retired