(Q) Why can't I send or receive Emojis :'(

Search This thread

ryanb0225

Apr 30, 2011
I currently have had the SPH-720 for a month now, bought the blue one during the BB deal over the holidays...anyways. Been flashing ROMS back and forth and currently on Sacs ROM. Now I've spent DAYS Googling and search forums all over for help on this and I keep getting the same answer. My wife recently ditched the android life and got an iPhone and every time she sends me emojis or vice versa none of them show up on my phone. I can see what emojis I send but she just gets the black diamond with the question mark and I get them on my phone when she replies with emojis. Here are ALL the procedures I've been thru to get it to work on my end cause I'm assuming it's my phone. I've download ChompSms, Handcent, GoSms, Textra and all the emoji plug-ins to get them to work and I still get the same error of diamonds. I've even tried installing the DroidSansFallBack.tff font and fallback.xml whatever and changed the permissions and NOTHING. Can anybody tell me what I should do? Tried all the latest AOSP ROMs and nothing as well, I thought it was a error with Sprint with sending MMS over WiFi but that doesn't apply with the 3rd party apps so I've heard.

Not a Noob when it comes to android phones so if it's anything "complicated" any input is appreciated.

Edit: BTW I use Kii keyboard as my default and have tried KK keyboard as well but still getting the same error

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

gotablunt

Mar 31, 2010
east los angeles
Re flash sacs newest 4.3 rom and choose emojis in aroma installer with a keyword , I like note3 keyboard. ..no need for chomp sms...or try looking in settings in input and control and check iWnn ime

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanb0225

ryanb0225

Apr 30, 2011
I've tried that numerous times, wiped constantly and flashed 5.0-5.4 of sacs Rom, one of them my emojis worked but after I updated to like 5.3 I think I lost all my emojis. I can view them on Facebook, twitter, and IG but when use them in a text they don't show up.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

BIGSAMDA1ST

Nov 29, 2012
Brooklyn,Ny..
I've tried that numerous times, wiped constantly and flashed 5.0-5.4 of sacs Rom, one of them my emojis worked but after I updated to like 5.3 I think I lost all my emojis. I can view them on Facebook, twitter, and IG but when use them in a text they don't show up.

Give 8sms from the play store a shot.. See if it works.. couldn't hurt.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ryanb0225

Apr 30, 2011
Tried it...chose it over default for awhile but like all the others...no go on emojis and I don't get it cause I can see them on social media apps perfectly fine but messaging is a no go

gotablunt

Mar 31, 2010
east los angeles
Ryan does it show like this? Are you on mk2?
Hold on mic symbol then the happy face

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390707657411.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390707657411.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

ryanb0225

Apr 30, 2011
I have the option to pull up emojis on my stock keyboard, and have iwinnime installed but I still get the same problem. Checked it out on my moms s3 last night and she gets emojis fine but I'm like WTF..I'm lost. Here are pics between my wife's iPhone and me using the stock TW messaging app and go SMS. Now I can type emojis using keyboards and any 3rd party messaging app but she all she receives is the error of diamonds in question marks. I'm currently on MJA apparently and I'm ready to wipe the device completely, return to stock and install mk2... Idk if it will help but I'm crossing my fingers.
yha5e7a2.jpg
9una7y9e.jpg

gotablunt

Mar 31, 2010
east los angeles
You need be on 4.3 part of new update is emojis. .. just install sacs new rom then new firmware from unknownforce thread WITHOUT the new Knox bootloader

ryanb0225

Apr 30, 2011
*sigh* i'm at a lost lol, ok let me explain what i currently just did. so i used the STOCK rooted MJA Rom found on here cuz that was my current baseband at the moment this all was happened and i mentioned updating it to mk2 which i just did thru odin. So now I'm on the current mk2 baseband stock and rooted thru odin and philz recovery....I grabbed my office's ipad and loaded hangouts on there cuz that was the quickest way i could access at IOS at the time. I send a message from my s4 with emoji's on the default keyboard...via hold mic and select smileys....what do you know THE EMOJIs go thru on hangouts fine via message. So I had one of my friends with a iPhone send me emojis via sms. And here goes the Bullish** with the diamonds and question marks. I'm at A LOST!!!! I wanna install sacs latest but if I can't get the problem fixed on stock what is a custom ROM gonna do for me.

nobody291

Jan 25, 2012
I pulled my hair out with this too. Do you use Google Voice with your Sprint number? If so, Google somehow screws up the emojis when they handle the data. I think the other features make Voice worthwhile, so I still use it with my GS4.

My wife has a Note 3 and was using Voice and had the exact symptoms you are. We removed Voice from her Sprint account (don't just delete the app, you need to remove it from your account...see Google), and the emojis immediately began to work fine.

You might not be a Voice user, but I wanted to put this here in case someone finds this down the road.

Last edited:

ryanb0225

Apr 30, 2011
Lol it's funny that you replied to this @nobody291 . i came across the information this morning about this google voice problem and TA-DA!!! i disabled my sprint number and can now see Emojis again.

Reactions: gotablunt

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re flash sacs newest 4.3 rom and choose emojis in aroma installer with a keyword , I like note3 keyboard. ..no need for chomp sms...or try looking in settings in input and control and check iWnn ime

Give 8sms from the play store a shot.. See if it works.. couldn't hurt.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I pulled my hair out with this too. Do you use Google Voice with your Sprint number? If so, Google somehow screws up the emojis when they handle the data. I think the other features make Voice worthwhile, so I still use it with my GS4.

My wife has a Note 3 and was using Voice and had the exact symptoms you are. We removed Voice from her Sprint account (don't just delete the app, you need to remove it from your account...see Google), and the emojis immediately began to work fine.

You might not be a Voice user, but I wanted to put this here in case someone finds this down the road.
    Lol it's funny that you replied to this @nobody291 . i came across the information this morning about this google voice problem and TA-DA!!! i disabled my sprint number and can now see Emojis again.