XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon S4 - accidently got into Odin recovery

Tip us?

Thadster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Verizon S4 - accidently got into Odin recovery

Purchased a Verizon S4 on swappa. The phone was rooted - in the description it said "It has not been updated to 4.3 and is currently rooted on 4.2.2 ME7 baseband" I am upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus I rooted as I run stuff like XPrivacy etc..

I get the phone, install titanium backup and do a full backup. The OTA update notification started popping up as well. Go to reboot the phone and reboot into recovery. (Familiar with doing that n the Galaxy Nexus, so why not? I am a foolish man)

The phone reboots into what I now learn is odin mode and says:

Could not do normal boot.
Odin Mode
Product name: SCH-I545
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30

What has happened and how do I resolve it? Assuming it is fixable is it better to stay where I am OS version wise or accept the OTA update?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thadster

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadster View Post
Purchased a Verizon S4 on swappa. The phone was rooted - in the description it said "It has not been updated to 4.3 and is currently rooted on 4.2.2 ME7 baseband" I am upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus I rooted as I run stuff like XPrivacy etc..

I get the phone, install titanium backup and do a full backup. The OTA update notification started popping up as well. Go to reboot the phone and reboot into recovery. (Familiar with doing that n the Galaxy Nexus, so why not? I am a foolish man)

The phone reboots into what I now learn is odin mode and says:

Could not do normal boot.
Odin Mode
Product name: SCH-I545
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Custom
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30

What has happened and how do I resolve it? Assuming it is fixable is it better to stay where I am OS version wise or accept the OTA update?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thadster
Star here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

aidankiller4
Old
Thanks Meter 4
The guy who sold you it is an idiot. He attempted to use goomanager to flash a custom recovery. You can stay the way you are and not have a recovery, but if you want it back you should flash a no wipe ME7 Odin image. I did the same thing and is easily fixed
The Following User Says Thank You to aidankiller4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thadster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidankiller4 View Post
The guy who sold you it is an idiot. He attempted to use goomanager to flash a custom recovery. You can stay the way you are and not have a recovery, but if you want it back you should flash a no wipe ME7 Odin image. I did the same thing and is easily fixed
First off thank you for the rapid reply. While waiting, I have been research odin - kinda get what I have to do. First can you point me to the odin image you suggest? Would that file then go into the pda slot and get pushed to the phone? Will I have to reroot?

Mistertac
Old
(Last edited by Mistertac; 25th January 2014 at 09:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 653
Quote:
First off thank you for the rapid reply. While waiting, I have been research odin - kinda get what I have to do. First can you point me to the odin image you suggest? Would that file then go into the pda slot and get pushed to the phone? Will I have to reroot?
Here's the odin file for your phone
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2357235
That file goes into the pda slot

After that go into the Dev section and search for how to root your phone.

Do some research and see if staying on an older build like me7 is worth it for you. Either way, you'll have safestrap and root. Everything past me7 has the Knox bootloader and security. Just read up a bit that's all.

Until you decide flash that in Odin... Root it.... and grab titanium backup and freeze SDM and FWupdater and you won't get any annoying OTA notifications.

Edit

The no wipe images are here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2301259

Maybe you can get away with just doing a no wipe. Try it first.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Mistertac For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Thadster
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you.

The no-wipe did not work, but the other did. (Phew).

Phone is now operational and re-rooted. What are my recovery options with regards to backing up this current phone image? Having difficulty getting clockwork recovery to work. (Hesitant probably) Is sage strap a better option?

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Thank you.

Phone is now operational and re-rooted. What are my recovery options with regards to backing up this current phone image? Having difficulty getting clockwork recovery to work. (Hesitant probably) Is sage strap a better option?
Like I said before. Start here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2606501
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental
The Following User Says Thank You to riker147 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1241

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thank you.

You can't use clockwork, or any other custom recovery, on your phone. Safestrap is your only choice.
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1