5,596,568 Members 41,482 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Looking to upgrade to possibly the note 3. Anyone have the nexus 5 first?

Tip us?

rans0m00
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbrobot View Post
How long did you have the nexus 5 and why did you go from it to the note 3? Where you on the fence as well before getting the n5 in the first place?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
I had the nexus 5 for little over 2 months. I enjoyed it and still prefer Kitkat over jellybean any day.

I purchased the n5 for the price for performance. I decided to upgrade because I wanted apt-x for blue tooth audio, I prefer the larger screen, and I still like having the removable battery and SD card.

There wasn't much on the fence... I had never had a nexus device and decided to try it out and see what the hype was about. For the price from Google play it's unbeatable imo. Paying the extra 100 because it came through tmo is a ripoff. Just my personal experience get the 32gb version so you don't have to compromise on what you can carry.

I liked the phone enough and for how cheap it is I decided to give it to my gf instead of selling it. If she didn't want it I would keep it around as a backup phone for when it's not a good idea to carry my note 3.

So in closing you can't go wrong with either one. For staying connected and having the latest Android the nexus wins. For bells and whistles the note 3 wins.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rans0m00 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hasbrobot
Old
(Last edited by hasbrobot; 19th January 2014 at 10:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Well I think that settles it. Thank you everyone for you input. Between everyone's generous advice and going to T-Mobile tonight to play with both. I have made up my mind.

(Drum roll please... ... ... ...)

And the winner is....

The note 3!!

No I just need to decide on the color. HA!

This Wednesday is the day. My wife and I are going to T-Mobile and she'll likely get the white and I'll probably get the black.

Thanks guys!!

The Following User Says Thank You to hasbrobot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1185

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbrobot View Post
Awesome,

Only reason I'm even partially concerned with knox is it might effect exchanging the phone in later for another (jump) upgrade.

Just an FYI - most carriers don't even check KNOX/Warranty status when you trade in etc.
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Liquid // UBER //
// Note 3 (SM-N9005) // AOSP ROM of variety // Lean or temasek's Kernel // - Dumped. No more Samsung
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hasbrobot
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Just an FYI - most carriers don't even check KNOX/Warranty status when you trade in etc.
Hope your right, odds are at some point I'm going to eventually root it.

hasbrobot
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112
Just bought the black note 3 and the white one for my wife!!

Totally awesome phone! I thought the note 2 was amazing. This phone is incredible. Thanks everyone for your input.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

gamisouxda
Old
Thanks Meter 14
hi,

had note 1, than iphone5s, now note 3. Nothing beats this screen size, wondered what to choose and there is no competition so far…

trubster
Old
(Last edited by trubster; 26th January 2014 at 01:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Can you not do what I did?

I got a sim free phone and a much cheaper sim-only deal (Paying £15 PM instead of £36+)

No waiting around if you want to upgrade early, I got the S3, then Note 2, then Note 2 LTE and finally the Note 3 - petty good resale values.

I would still be stuck with my S3 if I hadn't gone down this route. 24 Months is too long to be tied to a phone
SG Note 3 SM-N9005 on 3 UK - Download Record: 30.48 Mbps download speed, 3.86 Mbps upload speed (DC-HSDPA)

SG Gear: Rooted and running Null CFW

Proud member of the KNOX 0x1 Club, I couldn't resist life without AdBlock Plus on my phone.

Possibly a member of the "TrafficNonSense" club on 3 UK

Before Midnight:
After Midnight:

pifsworld
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I've got the note 3 on contract and cos the nexus 5 will get updates first I bought one outright as the price is so cheap and it works for me as I prefer the smaller N5 for work...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app