[Q] Bootloader decision

Tip us?

TwasBeats
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Bootloader decision

Hello everybody,

I have an unlocked (debranded) romanian N9005 currently rooted using Mobile Odin Pro with Knox intact on 4.3 MJ7. With the current release of 4.4.2, I read that I need to update the bootloader if I flash it using MOP or else I'll experience bootloops.

Updating the bootloader won't be so bad assuming I'll be at least able to update to newer options with root and Knox intact since other then App Ops I can't think of any reason to downgrade to 4.3. But my worry is that once I update the bootloader, if I will ever have to turn my phone for a repair (presuming it will be something that's not caused by my modifications) I won't be able to re-root my phone without tripping Knox (since even without having Knox tripped I'd have to get rid of root before handing it to Samsung) because I won't be able to downgrade to 4.3 so I can re-root using URLDV. So basically, I also want to know if it's possible and worth waiting for a supposed method to downgrade to 4.3 that's somehow dependent on this bootloader I have. This is my first Android phone and that's why I'm not very familiar with what developers can do for these kinds of situations.

Thank you!

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwasBeats View Post
Hello everybody,

I have an unlocked (debranded) romanian N9005 currently rooted using Mobile Odin Pro with Knox intact on 4.3 MJ7. With the current release of 4.4.2, I read that I need to update the bootloader if I flash it using MOP or else I'll experience bootloops.

Updating the bootloader won't be so bad assuming I'll be at least able to update to newer options with root and Knox intact since other then App Ops I can't think of any reason to downgrade to 4.3. But my worry is that once I update the bootloader, if I will ever have to turn my phone for a repair (presuming it will be something that's not caused by my modifications) I won't be able to re-root my phone without tripping Knox (since even without having Knox tripped I'd have to get rid of root before handing it to Samsung) because I won't be able to downgrade to 4.3 so I can re-root using URLDV. So basically, I also want to know if it's possible and worth waiting for a supposed method to downgrade to 4.3 that's somehow dependent on this bootloader I have. This is my first Android phone and that's why I'm not very familiar with what developers can do for these kinds of situations.

Thank you!
Chances of downgrade happening in the future are slim to non existent.

Upgrading, via Odin to Official ROM won't hurt your phone. - If you update the bootloader you Must upgrade the ROM also.

You won't be able to re-root your phone unless you update via Mobile Odin - correct.
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Paranoid // UBER //

TwasBeats
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Chances of downgrade happening in the future are slim to non existent.
So basically you say that I should wait for Samsung to unlock their bootloader sometime in the future when the phone inevitably goes out of the spotlight?

Quote:
Upgrading, via Odin to Official ROM won't hurt your phone. - If you update the bootloader you Must upgrade the ROM also.
I was talking about upgrading to the official rom and thus updating the bootloader too.

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
So basically you say that I should wait for Samsung to unlock their bootloader sometime in the future when the phone inevitably goes out of the spotlight?
Won't ever happen, Samsung have locked them on purpose. - Same happened on MJ7 downgrade was impossible, Samsung class downgrading as a security risk hence them blocking it.

Quote:
I was talking about upgrading to the official rom and thus updating the bootloader too.
Was just checking.
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TwasBeats
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Won't ever happen, Samsung have locked them on purpose. - Same happened on MJ7 downgrade was impossible, Samsung class downgrading as a security risk hence them blocking it.
It's one thing to not let you downgrade without tripping Knox which is fairly reasonable but not letting you downgrade at all even when you have tripped Knox and having the phone deemed by Samsung as a security risk is ridiculous. It may be my first Samsung phone but chances are it's going to also going to be my last one if they continue this ridiculous policy.

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It's one thing to not let you downgrade without tripping Knox which is fairly reasonable but not letting you downgrade at all even when you have tripped Knox and having the phone deemed by Samsung as a security risk is ridiculous. It may be my first Samsung phone but chances are it's going to also going to be my last one if they continue this ridiculous policy.
Welcome to Samsung lol.

TwasBeats
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Is it possible that Samsung might release 4.4.2 for N9005 in one of regions it's available? I read that the Mexican N900W8 has the bootloader unlocked.

OMG-FFS
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Quote:
You're not alone, it's not my 1st Samsung phone but it might be the last one.

ultramag69
Old
Thanks Meter 501
Apparently you can upgrade with MOP, will still require a factory reset so backup, by flashing KK with MOP then using PC ODIN to flash the bootloader (and MODEM?). You need the broken up rom though...
Don't know for sure as I had already tripprd Knox long ago and updated to KK...
If You Disagree Or Think I'm Wrong, Look Closer At My Avatar...

TwasBeats
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I was well aware of that but my main concern is a downgrade solution would get developed that requires the old bootloader after I've presumably already updated. Anyhow I think today I'll just update today and get rid of a worry.

Wiping everything isn't necessary, but I will still do it.