5,606,201 Members 33,876 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bootloader decision

Tip us?
 
TwasBeats
Old
#1  
TwasBeats's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 21
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Timișoara
Default [Q] Bootloader decision

Hello everybody,

I have an unlocked (debranded) romanian N9005 currently rooted using Mobile Odin Pro with Knox intact on 4.3 MJ7. With the current release of 4.4.2, I read that I need to update the bootloader if I flash it using MOP or else I'll experience bootloops.

Updating the bootloader won't be so bad assuming I'll be at least able to update to newer options with root and Knox intact since other then App Ops I can't think of any reason to downgrade to 4.3. But my worry is that once I update the bootloader, if I will ever have to turn my phone for a repair (presuming it will be something that's not caused by my modifications) I won't be able to re-root my phone without tripping Knox (since even without having Knox tripped I'd have to get rid of root before handing it to Samsung) because I won't be able to downgrade to 4.3 so I can re-root using URLDV. So basically, I also want to know if it's possible and worth waiting for a supposed method to downgrade to 4.3 that's somehow dependent on this bootloader I have. This is my first Android phone and that's why I'm not very familiar with what developers can do for these kinds of situations.

Thank you!
 
radicalisto
Old
#2  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1268
Posts: 3,123
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: York

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwasBeats View Post
Hello everybody,

I have an unlocked (debranded) romanian N9005 currently rooted using Mobile Odin Pro with Knox intact on 4.3 MJ7. With the current release of 4.4.2, I read that I need to update the bootloader if I flash it using MOP or else I'll experience bootloops.

Updating the bootloader won't be so bad assuming I'll be at least able to update to newer options with root and Knox intact since other then App Ops I can't think of any reason to downgrade to 4.3. But my worry is that once I update the bootloader, if I will ever have to turn my phone for a repair (presuming it will be something that's not caused by my modifications) I won't be able to re-root my phone without tripping Knox (since even without having Knox tripped I'd have to get rid of root before handing it to Samsung) because I won't be able to downgrade to 4.3 so I can re-root using URLDV. So basically, I also want to know if it's possible and worth waiting for a supposed method to downgrade to 4.3 that's somehow dependent on this bootloader I have. This is my first Android phone and that's why I'm not very familiar with what developers can do for these kinds of situations.

Thank you!
Chances of downgrade happening in the future are slim to non existent.

Upgrading, via Odin to Official ROM won't hurt your phone. - If you update the bootloader you Must upgrade the ROM also.

You won't be able to re-root your phone unless you update via Mobile Odin - correct.
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Paranoid // UBER //
 
TwasBeats
Old
#3  
TwasBeats's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 21
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Timișoara
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Chances of downgrade happening in the future are slim to non existent.
So basically you say that I should wait for Samsung to unlock their bootloader sometime in the future when the phone inevitably goes out of the spotlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Upgrading, via Odin to Official ROM won't hurt your phone. - If you update the bootloader you Must upgrade the ROM also.
I was talking about upgrading to the official rom and thus updating the bootloader too.
 
radicalisto
Old
#4  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1268
Posts: 3,123
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: York

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwasBeats View Post
So basically you say that I should wait for Samsung to unlock their bootloader sometime in the future when the phone inevitably goes out of the spotlight?
Won't ever happen, Samsung have locked them on purpose. - Same happened on MJ7 downgrade was impossible, Samsung class downgrading as a security risk hence them blocking it.

Quote:
I was talking about upgrading to the official rom and thus updating the bootloader too.
Was just checking.
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Paranoid // UBER //
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
TwasBeats
Old
#5  
TwasBeats's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 21
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Timișoara
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
Won't ever happen, Samsung have locked them on purpose. - Same happened on MJ7 downgrade was impossible, Samsung class downgrading as a security risk hence them blocking it.
It's one thing to not let you downgrade without tripping Knox which is fairly reasonable but not letting you downgrade at all even when you have tripped Knox and having the phone deemed by Samsung as a security risk is ridiculous. It may be my first Samsung phone but chances are it's going to also going to be my last one if they continue this ridiculous policy.
 
radicalisto
Old
#6  
radicalisto's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1268
Posts: 3,123
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: York

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwasBeats View Post
It's one thing to not let you downgrade without tripping Knox which is fairly reasonable but not letting you downgrade at all even when you have tripped Knox and having the phone deemed by Samsung as a security risk is ridiculous. It may be my first Samsung phone but chances are it's going to also going to be my last one if they continue this ridiculous policy.
Welcome to Samsung lol.
// Nexus 5 (D821) // Paranoid // UBER //
 
TwasBeats
Old
#7  
TwasBeats's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 21
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Timișoara
Is it possible that Samsung might release 4.4.2 for N9005 in one of regions it's available? I read that the Mexican N900W8 has the bootloader unlocked.
 
OMG-FFS
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 57
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada / Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwasBeats View Post
It's one thing to not let you downgrade without tripping Knox which is fairly reasonable but not letting you downgrade at all even when you have tripped Knox and having the phone deemed by Samsung as a security risk is ridiculous. It may be my first Samsung phone but chances are it's going to also going to be my last one if they continue this ridiculous policy.
You're not alone, it's not my 1st Samsung phone but it might be the last one.
 
ultramag69
Old
#9  
ultramag69's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 501
Posts: 4,281
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Waratah
Apparently you can upgrade with MOP, will still require a factory reset so backup, by flashing KK with MOP then using PC ODIN to flash the bootloader (and MODEM?). You need the broken up rom though...
Don't know for sure as I had already tripprd Knox long ago and updated to KK...
If You Disagree Or Think I'm Wrong, Look Closer At My Avatar...
 
TwasBeats
Old
#10  
TwasBeats's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 21
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Timișoara
I was well aware of that but my main concern is a downgrade solution would get developed that requires the old bootloader after I've presumably already updated. Anyhow I think today I'll just update today and get rid of a worry.

Wiping everything isn't necessary, but I will still do it.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Google Glass Now Open to Anyone… with $1500 to Spend (Update: Not Anymore)

Google Glass, which recently received its official update … more

Android 4.4.2 OTA Now Available for the Verizon Droid DNA

A couple of days ago, we talked about how the Android 4.4.2 upgrade for the HTC … more

UnbelovedHosts Uses Xposed to Block Unwanted Connections

First popularized by mvps, hosts-based ad blocking has become the de facto standard … more