[Q] HDMI Connection only 720P. Any idea how to change it to 1080P?

OP Rider008

25th January 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hi,
I am owner of a Sony Xperia Tablet S with a docking station(using to connect to a TV through HDMI cabel). When I connect the tablet to my TV(Samsung 1080P) It is only recognized as 720P device. That's probably OK, but when I play 1080P movie It should change to 1080P video resolution but it doesn't happen. I tried to search for a HDMI output setting in the tablet but there is no such thing, I also tried several video players, even to play exact resolution size video - 1920x1080 no change... still only 720P. And to be honest 720P doesn't look very brilliant from this tablet. I hoped to use the tablet as some kind of "all round video player".

Is there any way that I can convince the tablet to play videos in 1080P/Full HD? Any idea how to resize HDMI output resolution?

I know that it is mirroring my device, but even though it should automatically resize when playing full HD movies. (Saw it on couple of videos, where it does really work. The TV shows 1080P videos and the devices screen stays black, I guess because of their lower resolution, but that's OK.)
25th January 2014, 05:15 AM   |  #2  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 145

172 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider008

Hi,
I am owner of a Sony Xperia Tablet S with a docking station(using to connect to a TV through HDMI cabel). When I connect the tablet to my TV(Samsung 1080P) It is only recognized as 720P device. That's probably OK, but when I play 1080P movie It should change to 1080P video resolution but it doesn't happen. I tried to search for a HDMI output setting in the tablet but there is no such thing, I also tried several video players, even to play exact resolution size video - 1920x1080 no change... still only 720P. And to be honest 720P doesn't look very brilliant from this tablet. I hoped to use the tablet as some kind of "all round video player".

Is there any way that I can convince the tablet to play videos in 1080P/Full HD? Any idea how to resize HDMI output resolution?

I know that it is mirroring my device, but even though it should automatically resize when playing full HD movies. (Saw it on couple of videos, where it does really work. The TV shows 1080P videos and the devices screen stays black, I guess because of their lower resolution, but that's OK.)

I guess, your tablet only supports 720p output via HDMI.. It may be your TV only allowing 720p for HDMI output. Check your TV settings...
Hope this helps!
25th January 2014, 10:05 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnknownThing

I guess, your tablet only supports 720p output via HDMI.. It may be your TV only allowing 720p for HDMI output. Check your TV settings...
Hope this helps!

My TV is 1080P I am 100% sure . The TV finds by itself that it is 720P and I cannot change it anywhere in the TV menu(or in tablet). It seems that the tablet sends only 720P - which is OK, but when playing movies it should change to 1080P. The tablet itself should also support 1080P. If I could only get to service menu - there are the settings and I could change the output resolution.

Even though it doesn't seem all newer sony smartphones/tablets should support 1080P. In the service menu it is just matter of few clicks to change the resolution. I don't have permission to send links here, so type on youtube: Sony Xperia S - HDMI - Playstation 3 Controller
25th January 2014, 10:24 AM   |  #4  
Flag Melbourne

172 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

My TV is 1080P I am 100% sure . The TV finds by itself that it is 720P and I cannot change it anywhere in the TV menu(or in tablet). It seems that the tablet sends only 720P - which is OK, but when playing movies it should change to 1080P. The tablet itself should also support 1080P. If I could only get to service menu - there are the settings and I could change the output resolution.

Even though it doesn't seem all newer sony smartphones/tablets should support 1080P. In the service menu it is just matter of few clicks to change the resolution. I don't have permission to send links here, so type on youtube: Sony Xperia S - HDMI - Playstation 3 Controller

Well, nearly all TV's support 1080p (4k is next ) So I guess its the Sony software limiting it. Your specs can easily output 1080p. Although the software may be limiting it, try converting the video files to 1080p resolution and give that a shot. Also I have watched a demo of the xperia s tablet in HDMI mode and some parts on the TV screen are cut, so I'm guessing it ONLY supports 720p (unfourtanatly)
25th January 2014, 10:48 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnknownThing

Well, nearly all TV's support 1080p (4k is next ) So I guess its the Sony software limiting it. Your specs can easily output 1080p. Although the software may be limiting it, try converting the video files to 1080p resolution and give that a shot. Also I have watched a demo of the xperia s tablet in HDMI mode and some parts on the TV screen are cut, so I'm guessing it ONLY supports 720p (unfourtanatly)

I already tried to play 1080P movie with exact resolution no luck... The TV/Tablet hardware are capable of it, even android as software, but sony gave no option to change the resolution anually, which most manufactures don't, but they change to 1080P when playing 1080P stuff.

Only thing that is cut is the bottom navigation bar(I'm not sure how you call it.), but that's ok because the tablet is 16:10 and the TV is 16:9 so It just cuts off the black bar with navigation buttons from bottom. Otherwise it shows 100% from the screen.

As far as I know service menu would help to change it(easiest way), or some kind of app that can change HDMI output resolution? Or app that can change the resolution of the tablet itself, than I guess would the TV recognize the device as 1080P. Any idea?
26th January 2014, 12:46 AM   |  #6  
Flag Melbourne

172 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I already tried to play 1080P movie with exact resolution no luck... The TV/Tablet hardware are capable of it, even android as software, but sony gave no option to change the resolution anually, which most manufactures don't, but they change to 1080P when playing 1080P stuff.

Only thing that is cut is the bottom navigation bar(I'm not sure how you call it.), but that's ok because the tablet is 16:10 and the TV is 16:9 so It just cuts off the black bar with navigation buttons from bottom. Otherwise it shows 100% from the screen.

As far as I know service menu would help to change it(easiest way), or some kind of app that can change HDMI output resolution? Or app that can change the resolution of the tablet itself, than I guess would the TV recognize the device as 1080P. Any idea?

Well, if you want to mimic the 1080p output, then a program that uses root may be required. However, Im not sure if there is such app..
26th January 2014, 03:12 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

16 posts
Your tablet doesnt probably have 1080p stream output capacity. Maybe you could plug it to a device with an upscaler
26th January 2014, 01:32 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilarthon

Your tablet doesnt probably have 1080p stream output capacity. Maybe you could plug it to a device with an upscaler

I don't want just upscale the resolution. It won't make image any beter. As I know Tegra 3 does support 1080P, android as software too... so I can't see why it doesn't want to work? My girlfriend has also a Tegra 3 tablet(ASUS) and far as I know when she is playing 1080P it is a real 1080P on the TV and the screen(on the tablet is 720P) just stays black, I mean control buttons and everything is there, just the area where should the movie play on the tablet is black.

It seems I will have to root the tablet omg... Does anybody have an idea if there actually is an app like that? That can send it as 1080P output resolution? I tried to find service menu...no luck... if I could get there, like on the phone it would be just matter of few clicks and 30seconds of work...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread