Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,622 Members 44,650 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Question about updating device

Tip us?

EdgySer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Question about updating device

Hi there

I'm planning to flash both my Nexus 7 WiFi & Nexus 5 to Paranoid Android 4.0 Beta 3.
I've always loved PA and it seems nice to have both of my devices running on it.

Though, I wonder about updates. If, in some time, Beta 4 happens to come around, will I be able to update through the OTA update app?
Although I know it's a beta, I'm planning to have a few games and stuff on it and I don't want to lose all my data and stuff when the update is going to happen.

I've read something about that OTA updates are actually "dirty flashes" and it can mess up some things on your device.
What's the best way to update?

Thanks a lot

foxguard
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgySer View Post
Hi there

I'm planning to flash both my Nexus 7 WiFi & Nexus 5 to Paranoid Android 4.0 Beta 3.
I've always loved PA and it seems nice to have both of my devices running on it.

Though, I wonder about updates. If, in some time, Beta 4 happens to come around, will I be able to update through the OTA update app?
Although I know it's a beta, I'm planning to have a few games and stuff on it and I don't want to lose all my data and stuff when the update is going to happen.

I've read something about that OTA updates are actually "dirty flashes" and it can mess up some things on your device.
What's the best way to update?

Thanks a lot
Yes it is a dirty flash but as on the same rom this does not effect anything and will be fine.
Happy flashing.
Im new to all this... go EZ on me!

EdgySer
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxguard View Post
Yes it is a dirty flash but as on the same rom this does not effect anything and will be fine.
Happy flashing.
Thanks! Just read the same when I asked on Google+!
Cool, looking forward to the fourth beta