Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,382 Members 47,372 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I dropped my HTC One in the toilet, and it's not working at all. Can anyone help?

Tip us?
 
thebrightpink
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default [Q] I dropped my HTC One in the toilet, and it's not working at all. Can anyone help?

It was in the toilet for a second or two. I then took it out immidiately and turned it off, wiped off any excess water, and left it in a bowl of rice, rotating it every few hours, for 48 hours. I have tried to turn it on this morning, but have had no luck. The screen is just blank, and the phone does not react when I put the charger in. The led green light doesn't come on to say it's charging, and neither a laptop of computer are recognising it when I plug it in. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with it, or is it just completely dead? It's a new phone on contract, and I really can't afford to get a new phone. Or does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to repair it?

Any advice or tips would be really appreciated!

Thanks
 
clsA
Old
#2  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 898
Posts: 3,377
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrightpink View Post
It was in the toilet for a second or two. I then took it out immidiately and turned it off, wiped off any excess water, and left it in a bowl of rice, rotating it every few hours, for 48 hours. I have tried to turn it on this morning, but have had no luck. The screen is just blank, and the phone does not react when I put the charger in. The led green light doesn't come on to say it's charging, and neither a laptop of computer are recognising it when I plug it in. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with it, or is it just completely dead? It's a new phone on contract, and I really can't afford to get a new phone. Or does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to repair it?

Any advice or tips would be really appreciated!

Thanks
48 hours in rice ... did you apply any heat
did you shake the excess water from the phone.

centrifugal force also helps to remove water from the device.

Heat your oven to 200^F (it's lowest setting) turn it off wait about 30 min then place the glass bowl of rice and phone in it for an hour until the oven has completely cooled. wait another hour and try and charge the phone. This is about equal to leaving your phone in a hot car. but heat really accelerates the removal of water
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

 
thebrightpink
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
48 hours in rice ... did you apply any heat
did you shake the excess water from the phone.

centrifugal force also helps to remove water from the device.

Heat your oven to 200^F (it's lowest setting) turn it off wait about 30 min then place the glass bowl of rice and phone in it for an hour until the oven has completely cooled. wait another hour and try and charge the phone. This is about equal to leaving your phone in a hot car. but heat really accelerates the removal of water
I put a lamp (which gets quite hot) over the bowl of rice, which kept it very warm. I did this five or six times for one to three hours at a time to evaporate the water which hasn't helped. I will try the oven now. Thanks for the tip
 
clsA
Old
#4  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 898
Posts: 3,377
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrightpink View Post
I put a lamp (which gets quite hot) over the bowl of rice, which kept it very warm. I did this five or six times for one to three hours at a time to evaporate the water which hasn't helped. I will try the oven now. Thanks for the tip
well if you have already applied heat it's not sounding good
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes