Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

CPU Spy Gets an Android Lollipop Makeover

At some point in the distant past, you probably heard of CPU Spy for Android by XDARetired … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

T-Mobile (USA) - Moto G Question

OP sicembaylor

25th January 2014, 08:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 10

70 posts
I've had my Moto G since launch (well accounting for the delayed shipping), but I am new to T-Mobile having switched from Sprint. Of course, I know our 'G' doesn't have LTE, but my HSPA+ speeds are pretty damned good with no issues whatsoever when connected to HSPA/HSPA+.

HOWEVER, and this is a big one, outside of any moderate sized community I get EDGE or less with absolutely NO data connection. None. I know EDGE is slower, but when I had my iPhone on AT&T I did at least have some data connection on EDGE despite its slow speed. With T-Mobile it's as if I'm not connected to anything at all. Voice works fine as does texting, but it's like my data connection is completely shut off.

I know EDGE is slow, but I should at least be getting some data....right?
25th January 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 6

23 posts
I'm newbie to android but old timer with TMO. I think it's more their lack of coverage and not anything wrong with the Moto G.
25th January 2014, 09:41 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 608

1,991 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicembaylor

I've had my Moto G since launch (well accounting for the delayed shipping), but I am new to T-Mobile having switched from Sprint. Of course, I know our 'G' doesn't have LTE, but my HSPA+ speeds are pretty damned good with no issues whatsoever when connected to HSPA/HSPA+.

HOWEVER, and this is a big one, outside of any moderate sized community I get EDGE or less with absolutely NO data connection. None. I know EDGE is slower, but when I had my iPhone on AT&T I did at least have some data connection on EDGE despite its slow speed. With T-Mobile it's as if I'm not connected to anything at all. Voice works fine as does texting, but it's like my data connection is completely shut off.

I know EDGE is slow, but I should at least be getting some data....right?

Which version of the Moto G do you have? The global or US version? The global version will get Edge a lot more than the US version since T-Mobile hasn't refarmed every area yet. And yes, data on Edge is hit or miss. Sometimes it can be usable and sometimes not at all.
26th January 2014, 06:35 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

70 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzykid

Which version of the Moto G do you have? The global or US version? The global version will get Edge a lot more than the US version since T-Mobile hasn't refarmed every area yet. And yes, data on Edge is hit or miss. Sometimes it can be usable and sometimes not at all.

US GSM
26th January 2014, 08:19 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 55

321 posts
More
My moto g on tmo gets faster data speeds at my house then my WiFi but I am rooted with paranoid android

Sent from my XT1034 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
26th January 2014, 09:20 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

70 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintextreme97

My moto g on tmo gets faster data speeds at my house then my WiFi but I am rooted with paranoid android

HSPA or EDGE?

My HSPA/+ speeds are phenomenal so long as I have HSPA. Essentially, the only time I have a data connection is with HSPA. Otherwise, it's completely dead.
26th January 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 55

321 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicembaylor

HSPA or EDGE?

My HSPA/+ speeds are phenomenal so long as I have HSPA. Essentially, the only time I have a data connection is with HSPA. Otherwise, it's completely dead.

Well maybe its the service in your area I live in the country and get 8mbs+ but when I go into town I get .5-1.5mbs(yes on H+) so its all about where you are

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread