5,593,401 Members 36,498 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC 1 Mini WILL NOT INSTALL BUSYBOX

Tip us?

spokanite
Old
(Last edited by spokanite; 26th January 2014 at 01:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
This needs to be in proper section. This is the HTC One Verizon section. Not mini.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-mini

Typed on a HTCone via rumrunners

cmlusco
Old
Thanks Meter 898

DONATE TO ME
I know this is the wrong forum, but im gonna help a guy out anyways.
Does the mini have ext4 formating for system and cache partitions? If so flash this https://www.dropbox.com/s/losui4x6nk..._flashable.zip
Sent From My HTC One (M7WLV) S-OFF Rooted
Hboot: 1.56.0000 (Unlocked)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4
Baseband: 1.13.41.0109_2
Kernel: ElementalX 13.5
PRL: 15287
Rom: Stock OTA 3.11.605.1

VZW HTC One Files - VZW1FILES.DYNDNS.ORG

HTC Incredible Files - DINC.DOES-IT.NET

lgally80
Old
(Last edited by lgally80; 26th January 2014 at 07:06 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlusco View Post
Does the mini have ext4 formating for system and cache partitions? If so flash this https://www.dropbox.com/s/losui4x6nk..._flashable.zip
DL'ed your .zip, but i'm waiting to figure out if my Mini has this "ext4" formating.
I don't know how to check if it does, and I don't want to flash something w/o knowing more.
I know ext4 is the newest? linux file structure, but I'm not sure if my Mini is formatted to it....

Anybody know how to check this?

The Mini when hooked up to a PC is recognizable as an external storage device,
so doesn't that mean its FAT or NTFS if windows can recognize it? Right?
Windows won't automatically recognize ext4 w/o installing something right?
If you have to alter or change your phone to ext4, then mine is not. I have never formatted my phone.

How can I check if this is safe for my phone?
I plan on using ClockworkMod to install this through the GUI.
What exactly is this "recovery-flashable-busybox"?
Does it get flashed over top of my recovery partition?
If so, does that mean I will lose my clockworkmod recovery?

Somehow with no idea what I was doing, I managed to unlock fastboot, and get SU.
Now I'm thinking I have no real idea of how this all works......
I would feel more comfortable installing BusyBox using an .APK because I'm a n00b
at this with an expensive toy that i don't want to break.... Like I mentioned before, would
turning S "off", would that allow me to use an .APK to install BusyBox? Or did my two .APK
installations I attempted before fail bc my internal "emulated" SD card is not formatted to
"ext3/4"? I'm lost now...

I guess in summary I need to know WHY I can't install busybox via GooglePlay .APK's,
and is this .zip safe for me to use, and if it is, how would I even use it?

lgally80
Old
(Last edited by lgally80; 26th January 2014 at 07:15 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
It seems like the more answers I get, the more complications and questions I have...
How would I message or get help from somebody "high up" on this forum, somebody that knows all the in and outs?

I'm not gunna lie, I need a "babysitter" for this....
All I want to do is install Busybox, and after that I'm good, I don't need to play around with the "sensitive internals" of my phone.
I don't want any special roms, or anything else special. I just want SU privelages, and busybox installed.

Soooo.... how do I find a babysitter lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlusco View Post

Also, I forgot to ask, did you mean can my phone "READ" ext3/4, or did you mean is my device "FORMATTED" to ext3/4

Neither of which do I know how to check or verify, but it would at least tell me what to do next i guess....

lgally80
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I think I'm may be on to something... The Util's known as "BusyBox", are a bunch of basic/necessary/commonly.used Linux commands wrapped up in a package, correct? So if they are Linux commands, then they probably have to be written to a Linux formatted partition? Correct? And if they are Linux commands, on a Linux partition, then that means my phone must be able to "speak" Linux? Correct?

So essentially I need to create an ext3/4 partition, and then write/install BusyBox to that partition?

Is my assumption correct?

Now another assumption is that the .APK's I want to use, which require these Linux commands, act as an interpreter to translate these Linux commands for my phone? Essentially, my phone does not need to speak Linux bc the .APK's know how to use the Linux commands "automatically" or "within themselves" so to speak?

cmlusco
Old
(Last edited by cmlusco; 26th January 2014 at 08:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 898

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgally80 View Post
I think I'm may be on to something... The Util's known as "BusyBox", are a bunch of basic/necessary/commonly.used Linux commands wrapped up in a package, correct? So if they are Linux commands, then they probably have to be written to a Linux formatted partition? Correct? And if they are Linux commands, on a Linux partition, then that means my phone must be able to "speak" Linux? Correct?

So essentially I need to create an ext3/4 partition, and then write/install BusyBox to that partition?

Is my assumption correct?

Now another assumption is that the .APK's I want to use, which require these Linux commands, act as an interpreter to translate these Linux commands for my phone? Essentially, my phone does not need to speak Linux bc the .APK's know how to use the Linux commands "automatically" or "within themselves" so to speak?
All you need to do is flash it thru recovery. If your phones partitions are not formated ext4, the install will fail before anything is ever changed.

To find out how there fornated type mount into a terminal emulator, or at an adb shell. Look for lines with /system and /cache. In those same lines it will say ext4, ext3, etc. If there not ext4 tell me, and i will edit the flashable with the correct partitions.

All this zip does is install the busybox binary file to /system/xbin, and then make the appropirate symlinks.

Yes i reccomend getting s-off. The reason the apk wont work is because your s-on and have a secured boot.img

Busybox is a bunch of linux commands rolled into one. Your phone is already linux, but busybox puts all these commands in one place, and adds some additiinal commands not native to the phone.
Sent From My HTC One (M7WLV) S-OFF Rooted
Hboot: 1.56.0000 (Unlocked)
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.4
Baseband: 1.13.41.0109_2
Kernel: ElementalX 13.5
PRL: 15287
Rom: Stock OTA 3.11.605.1

VZW HTC One Files - VZW1FILES.DYNDNS.ORG

HTC Incredible Files - DINC.DOES-IT.NET

spokanite
Old
(Last edited by spokanite; 26th January 2014 at 08:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Your partitions are most likely ext4 as the regular one is. Are you sure you have an unsecured boot img installed. Pretty sure busy box won't work without one. If you are not s off flashing a rom will not change the boot img. You will have to extract the image and flash via fastboot manually.

Typed on a HTCone via rumrunners

lgally80
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sounds good, hopefully w this info I can move on, stuck at the laundrmat w my b**** gf, so ill post results in or about 2 hours. Thnx in adv.