peter-k
Old
(Last edited by peter-k; 15th December 2013 at 07:50 AM.) Reason: spelling
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by immerblind View Post
acalendar+...there isnt a much better alternative
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I tested it. Acalendar is great, the widgets provide a nice overview and look so much better than the clumsy OEM item. It is what the OEM calendar should be. All that, but it is not an alternative. it requires the presence of the OEM calendar. So it is an extension to the limited capabilities of the stock item.

The quest goes on.
"I don't think we need comments/discussions on rules/guidelines."

immerblind
Old
Thanks Meter 208
not sure if i get you....but you can disable google calendar and sync and use a intern phone calendar, at acalendar.

WhiteNeo
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by immerblind View Post
not sure if i get you....but you can disable google calendar and sync and use a intern phone calendar, at acalendar.
No, what he means is that when you completely remove Calendar.apk and CalendarProvider.apk from system/app, aCalendar will no longer work..
So it seems this app needs the stock calendar to work

Sent from my LT25i using xda app-developers app

nreuge
Old
Thanks Meter 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-k View Post
+ the apps are free
+ widgets, icons and the user interface is beautiful

- many Sony and Google apps have become big and heavy pigs in terms of app size as wll as memory foot-print
- user interface, settings and options have been stripped down or hidden, sometimes to a level that cripples the app
- permissions required are numerous, sometimes without any connection to the function of the app

I personally found that functionally there are sometimes better alternatives. I personally like the VLC player much better than Movies and Walkman, even though it still has some rough edges.

What clever replacements are you using for Messenger, Album, Calendar, Phonebook, Musik Player, Movies, Barcode Scanner, File Browser, Internet Browser, Contacts, Email, Maps, Notes and the likes?
Android Pro Widgets, take a look at these amazing apps/widgets

peter-k
Old
(Last edited by peter-k; 16th December 2013 at 03:21 AM.) Reason: spelling
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNeo View Post
No, what he means is that when you completely remove Calendar.apk and CalendarProvider.apk from system/app, aCalendar will no longer work..
So it seems this app needs the stock calendar to work

Sent from my LT25i using xda app-developers app
When I froze the stock calendar, aCalendar remains static (no more sync). It needs Goggle Calendar or the semcalendar.apk (which is actually based on Google calendar) for database access and for Gmail account access. It is possible to purchase a 3. party sync app, but it is expensive (13 bucks )
I wrote to the aCalendar developer stating they might consider a standalone version. But I suspect Google does not wish this.

I tried a number of calendars in the past days. They ALL depend on the presence of an OEM calendar (for syncing). Some of them are actually very very good, the best 2 being: aCalendar, considering it's small size it has surprisingly plenty and even more important: meaningful features. And secondly the Business Calendar, which is very flexible and features rich. IMO Jorte and Digi are overrated.

What I finally did is, I installed a modified version of the Google Calendar. It is modified to display the events in text mode in the months overview. I disabled "Show Notifications" so that Google Play will not update it (and replace it with a bare version). Now I will see if I can learn how to modify its clumsy looking widget to become more palatable.

I would like to forward again my thanks! I used some suggestions, some others brought me onto the right track. There are really gorgeous apps on Play, some of them hidden under piles of junk.

peter-k
Old
(Last edited by peter-k; 27th January 2014 at 05:19 AM.) Reason: spelling
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Herwe are some suggestions to try:

1. F-Droid
App Store which only offers open source apps that are free, have no advertisements and no dependencies. Even though the number of apps is limited - speak it has huge gaps - there are some aps that are unique and hard to find elsewhere. Truly worth a look.

2. K-9 Mail (download from F-Droid)
The icon is a bit silly but don't be mislead, it's one of the best email apps out there. I was surprised in view of K-9 not being not bigger than the stock app but so much more customizable.

3. Notify Lite (download from F-Droid)
The app provides unified status bar icon notifications, Led notifications, pop-up windows and vibration notifications for email, sms and calendar events, a pro version also for Twitter and Facebook. The "Lite" in the name is a joke, bcs. the options to customize and tailor notifications and reminders are overwhelming. But once adjusted it works like a charm for me. It does not have a big memory foot-print, and reminders work flawless with Stamina mode on, which is not certain with some other apps. F-Droid said the app will bug me with in-app purchases requests, but 1., the Pro features offered are not needed for everyone, and 2., I don't feel pestered at all, it is still done in a very decent way.

4. Evolve SMS
If you are looking for a more modern SMS app, or if you are sick of sms integration in Hangout, than Evolve may be just the ticket. It is an Sms app with beautiful style plus easy functionality. The sliding conversations are no comparison to the boring stock sms app system (seems they want to out-phase SMS, so making the SMS apps boring is one way of teaching people to use something else). The widget is really useful - and I am saying that even though I usually avoid widgets. On Play some people commented Evolve being slow and lagging. On my V Evolve is not slow at all. May be the remark is with regards to an older version. I can well imagine an email app of the same style, or even both functions sms and email integrated. The only thing I don't care for is the picture banner on top of each conversation, suggest to make it a simpler graphic element. Thanks to the developer! I was first hesitant bcs Evolve is much bigger than my stock messaging app (I am usually trying to avoid that, too). Now I am glad I tried it. Look here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2608958

As for a calendar app I am still using the modded Google calendar. I haven't found anything better. Everything I tried is either not a standalone calendar, which means I still need the Android, Sony or Google calendar installed and working. Or, syncing does not really work reliable. I got to say the chapter calendar apps is a pretty sad chapter in the book of Android apps.