Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,823 Members 41,905 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What is the best method to 'factory reset' a rooted Droid MAXX that has KitKat?

Tip us?

Alodar
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Question [Q] What is the best method to 'factory reset' a rooted Droid MAXX that has KitKat?

I have a Droid MAXX that is rooted and running 4.4 KitKat.
It is becoming unstable (battery draining when tethered instead of charging, power off doesn't work and reboots instead, etc), and I just want to return it to stock, but keep root and wp/off.
I've currently backed up my apps (Titanium) and copying that off device, plus cloning a copy of the /sdcard contents off device as well.
Is there anything else I need to do? Should I use the recovery's factory restore? Do I need to flash something instead?
(Is this all a waste of time? )

needshelp101
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Just do a normal factory reset. That's what I just did

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
droid incredible oc'ed to 1.13
skyraider 3.5 incredikernel
juice defender
blue theme, blue market

Alodar
Old
(Last edited by Alodar; 17th January 2014 at 10:22 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Ok. Factory reset worked and kept root. But things like 'power off' didn't work (it still reboots), so I thought things were messed up worse.
Then I decided to use House of Moto to flash. Silly me. I should have known better. Flashed just fine, still had no write protect, but now I have no root. Super SU won't install a 'su'.
And it STILL reboots when you use 'power off' from the power button menu.

So, Factory Restore? Yes, then reinstall SuperSU.
House of Moto flashing back to 4.4? No, 'su' gets removed so you lose root, but you still have wp disabled.

bigv5150
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alodar View Post
Ok. Factory reset worked and kept root. But things like 'power off' didn't work (it still reboots), so I thought things were messed up worse.
Then I decided to use House of Moto to flash. Silly me. I should have known better. Flashed just fine, still had no write protect, but now I have no root. Super SU won't install a 'su'.
And it STILL reboots when you use 'power off' from the power button menu.

So, Factory Restore? Yes, then reinstall SuperSU.
House of Moto flashing back to 4.4? No, 'su' gets removed so you lose root, but you still have wp disabled.
FDR is just that data reset not system fxz resets the system that's why you lost root. IMHO FDRis for apps acting up or if PlayStation won't allow you to install an app. System issues are rarely fixed without an fxz. Since you lost root I would just fxz again and see if it fixed the problem. If not then what fxz are you using full or save data.

needshelp101
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I would call for a replacement phone. Hopefully you'll get one with 4.2.2 and you'd be able to try the root method again. Instead of waiting for an exploit for 4.4. :/

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
droid incredible oc'ed to 1.13
skyraider 3.5 incredikernel
juice defender
blue theme, blue market

Slim706
Old
(Last edited by Slim706; 27th January 2014 at 04:06 AM.) Reason: updated question
Thanks Meter 0
Question. So I also have a Droid Maxx rooted on 4.4 and I am selling it. Just to be clear, do i need to backup anything or are you saying all I would need to do is just do a factory reset and the new owner would just install SuperSU and they will still have root?
Tags
droid maxx, kitkat, recovery, root