ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] how to remove/disable update notification

OP jb40

25th January 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
I am unrooted and trying to find a way to keep from getting this notification. It downloaded
on its own-didnt do that with 2 previous updates. do i have to just keep ignoring it?
I have searched forums and net to no avail. btw, update and/or root not an option either.
thx for any ideas.

r, john
25th January 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #2  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 1,459

2,343 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb40

I am unrooted and trying to find a way to keep from getting this notification. It downloaded
on its own-didnt do that with 2 previous updates. do i have to just keep ignoring it?
I have searched forums and net to no avail. btw, update and/or root not an option either.
thx for any ideas.

r, john

Not sure what version you're running, but you should be able to go to Setting, Applications (Applications Manager) whatever you have.
Find Samsung Update, stop it and uncheck notifications.
26th January 2014, 12:54 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Sorry, I thought it was assumed. Im on ver 4.1.2
Also, the update comes from att. Greyed out in
App manager. Now what?
26th January 2014, 01:36 AM   |  #4  
Flag California

2,343 posts
More
Quote:

Sorry, I thought it was assumed. Im on ver 4.1.2
Also, the update comes from att. Greyed out in
App manager. Now what?

With root not an option, not too sure....

I have ideas....

I'm really not sure if download has really been completed. You should have been prompted multiple times to accept the update, and the download.
Same goes for installing it, it requires multiple prompts and you must say continue.

So, the download gets saved in the /cache directory. If I'm right, and I should be, you should be able to power your phone down,
Then boot into stock recovery and clear cache which will delete the downloaded cache update file.

Boot into stock recovery (HOLD VOL UP+HOME+POWER)
Picture of stock recovery
http://galaxys2root.com/wp-content/u...11-690x404.jpg

You want to choose wipe cache partition.

Then when you boot back up, race over to Settings, Applications again and stop the update service. I'd leave notifications turned on for now just to watch what the update process is attempting.
26th January 2014, 03:36 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
The dl started on its own. Finished too I would bet. Tried killing dl by reboot.
No joy.att must really want us to have this-I had to fetch the 2 previous updates
As I mentioned. Now I have cont/pp dialogue every 8 hrs. Process for notification is
Com.wssyncmldm -afraid to use stock recovery- I dontknow that it wont goof up
Something else-and my cache directory shows empty. (Using es explorer)
26th January 2014, 08:02 AM   |  #6  
Flag California

2,343 posts
More
Quote:

The dl started on its own. Finished too I would bet. Tried killing dl by reboot.
No joy.att must really want us to have this-I had to fetch the 2 previous updates
As I mentioned. Now I have cont/pp dialogue every 8 hrs. Process for notification is
Com.wssyncmldm -afraid to use stock recovery- I dontknow that it wont goof up
Something else-and my cache directory shows empty. (Using es explorer)

You have to be root to really see what's in /cache.

Stock recovery really is harmless, for the most part. If you choose data/factory reset all of your installed apps (ones that you have downloaded and installed) are torched and your settings, like Google account info, mail setup etc.

Cleaning out /cache is a good thing.

Maybe someone else will stop by and have another suggestion, but since you said root is not an option, I can't think of another way right now to stop it from bugging.
The Following User Says Thank You to dicksteele For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th January 2014, 08:57 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Well, i suspected there was nothing i could do without root. something simple. the greyed out att update process
along with the attempt to force feed the update to me speaks volumes. to me. I've seen way too much of things i
don't like with this 4.3 silliness(improve my hardware, ok). they're going to have to do better than bug me every
8 hours to get me to install it....

thanks for the suggestions,

r, john
The Following User Says Thank You to jb40 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th January 2014, 05:59 AM   |  #8  
Flag B.F.E.
Thanks Meter: 3,707

4,379 posts
More
Quote:

Well, i suspected there was nothing i could do without root. something simple. the greyed out att update process
along with the attempt to force feed the update to me speaks volumes. to me. I've seen way too much of things i
don't like with this 4.3 silliness(improve my hardware, ok). they're going to have to do better than bug me every
8 hours to get me to install it....

thanks for the suggestions,

r, john

You are wise to avoid that locked down bootloader with Knox...g

Sent from my NOTE 2.750...
Courtesy of our amazing developers...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread