Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 38,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] My External Micro SD card is locked up! Can't write to it (android 4.3)

Tip us?

serulin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] My External Micro SD card is locked up! Can't write to it (android 4.3)

I'm not sure if this is related to the 4.3 bug or not but I have the tmobile galaxy s4 and I can no longer modify anything on my external sd card. Everything still reads fine but it seems alot slower than before.

I tried using es file manager to delete/write , but it dosen't work. It will say deleted successfully but when i refresh, it reappears. When i try to create a new file it says "sorry, operation failed"

I also checked the permissions file and it says it has r/w access for external storage.

Is my card just dying or corrupted or what? How can I fix this?

I just want to be able to use it again.

I also tried formatting. When i do it on the phone it just freezes. When I do it on the pc, it says write protected.

I tried gparted as well but it hangs during detection.

This is the default micro sd card that came with the phone...

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 2263

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up re: external sdcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by serulin View Post
I'm not sure if this is related to the 4.3 bug or not but I have the tmobile galaxy s4 and I can no longer modify anything on my external sd card. Everything still reads fine but it seems alot slower than before.

I tried using es file manager to delete/write , but it dosen't work. It will say deleted successfully but when i refresh, it reappears. When i try to create a new file it says "sorry, operation failed"

I also checked the permissions file and it says it has r/w access for external storage.

Is my card just dying or corrupted or what? How can I fix this?

I just want to be able to use it again.

I also tried formatting. When i do it on the phone it just freezes. When I do it on the pc, it says write protected.

I tried gparted as well but it hangs during detection.

This is the default micro sd card that came with the phone...
Remove your external microSD and plug it into a card reader and or the adapter which came
with the card then plug it into your computer.
Make an empty folder on desktop of computer and copy all files and folders from the microsd
card into the empty folder.

Format your external microsd using this windows utility and copy all the files/folders back onto
the card from your computer and replace it into your phone.
Here is the direct download link for this fat32 formatter which is a windows utility:
http://download.cnet.com/MiniAide-Fa...74ffba47b88ad1

By doing the above your external microSD card should work find again.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misterjunky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]