Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,922 Members 44,684 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Gnome Shell

Tip us?

qunungnauraq
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Gnome Shell

Is it now or will it ever be possible to install Gnome Shell in Ubuntu Touch?

georgedao123
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default I don't think so.

Ubuntu Touch now uses Unity as its DE. And I don't think GNOME is optimised for mobile at this time period.
The Following User Says Thank You to georgedao123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by qunungnauraq View Post
Is it now or will it ever be possible to install Gnome Shell in Ubuntu Touch?
Ubuntu Touch has (will have) its own terminal app. It is currently on hold, till the developer finds the time to fix it up.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kastlell
Old
Thanks Meter 7
When will be Ubuntu touch usable in most devices? I need to try it

qunungnauraq
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by f69m View Post
Ubuntu Touch has (will have) its own terminal app. It is currently on hold, till the developer finds the time to fix it up.

Is Ubuntu Touch capable of desktop mode yet? What I would like is to use the mobile gui when not connected to an hdmi monitor but use gnome shell when in desktop mode. So, you're saying gnome shell may be installable by command line through the terminal when the terminal app is functional?

f69m
Old
Thanks Meter 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastlell View Post
When will be Ubuntu touch usable in most devices? I need to try it
There have been huge changes lately that need more debugging to become stable. Give it a couple more weeks and the base image should be OK for most phones. For non-Nexus devices it then depends on the community porters, how well they work.
Basically it also works on tablets, but most apps assume a small phone screen and need fixing up for the larger tablet screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qunungnauraq View Post
Is Ubuntu Touch capable of desktop mode yet? What I would like is to use the mobile gui when not connected to an hdmi monitor but use gnome shell when in desktop mode. So, you're saying gnome shell may be installable by command line through the terminal when the terminal app is functional?
Well, I am afraid this is a little further down the road, once it is working well for phones and tablets. Sorry, misunderstood you. For me the "shell" is the command line, so I mentioned the terminal app.
Not sure Gnome will work, as the new mir display server does not support the X protocol. Instead we will have a desktop variant of Unity8 (or 9?).

The Following User Says Thank You to f69m For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]