[Q] modifications to emulate specific physical device (qemu & more)

OP thinkmassive

24th January 2014, 04:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
I'm working on a project that includes a test system for OEM devices. The supporting infrastructure is complete, however I'm having difficulties getting ROMs to run on the emulator. Of course the AVDs generated by the SDK work fine, but my next step is to run a binary intended for an OEM device. I understand that the emulator would require different drivers than a physical device, so I can't simply drop the same binary onto it and expect it to run.

Tweaking the AVDs generated by the SDK is about the limit of my knowledge. I've looked into pulling the system.img and other partitions from the ROM with ones from the emulator, but that doesn't work since the emulated hardware doesn't match what the drivers expect. I assume some modifications to qemu and some reverse engineering of the OEM ROM might be required to obtain my goal.

Assuming I have access to the binaries (but not the source) used by an OEM to construct their ROMs, what would be involved to obtain an emulator that matches the physical device, so I can run the compiled ROM on the emulator?

If this is even feasible, is there an expert out there who would be interested in a potential job opportunity?
27th January 2014, 02:40 PM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

5 posts
feedback?
Anyone have any feedback?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
emulator, qemu, reverse engineering, rom
Previous Thread Next Thread