Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,266 Members 42,180 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Installing Custom Rom over 4.3

Tip us?

havidad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Installing Custom Rom over 4.3

So I was getting sick of running CM 10.2 on my Galaxy SIII so I decided to go back to Verizon stock 4.1.2 rom and then before reading up on the 4.3 OTA update, I stupidly just went through the update. I didn't know how much of a hassle this was going to be, but basically I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to get off of this standard rom and back into the world of custom roms. Because I really really dislike touchwiz and really just about everything to do with this OTA update that I've had to deal with for the past pretty much month now. Any information will be helpful on steps I can take to get off of this ROM or if any work is being done to make this phone rock as much as it did when I first bought it.

YevOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by havidad View Post
So I was getting sick of running CM 10.2 on my Galaxy SIII so I decided to go back to Verizon stock 4.1.2 rom and then before reading up on the 4.3 OTA update, I stupidly just went through the update. I didn't know how much of a hassle this was going to be, but basically I was wondering if anyone has any information on how to get off of this standard rom and back into the world of custom roms. Because I really really dislike touchwiz and really just about everything to do with this OTA update that I've had to deal with for the past pretty much month now. Any information will be helpful on steps I can take to get off of this ROM or if any work is being done to make this phone rock as much as it did when I first bought it.
Saferoot and Safestrap only available option right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to YevOmega For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1486
I may add that saferoot is to root your phone and safestrap is used to install TouchWiz custom rom only.
The Following User Says Thank You to buhohitr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dvslawrence
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default how to get a clean 4.4

I've done the same thing as well with a similar issue, is the consensus that there is no way to move from a stock 4.3 updated phone to a clean non-touchwiz 4.4 such as CM11 or similar? My phone is quite slow and laggy after this update especially the keyboard, so I'm looking to pare things down to speed it up.

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvslawrence View Post
I've done the same thing as well with a similar issue, is the consensus that there is no way to move from a stock 4.3 updated phone to a clean non-touchwiz 4.4 such as CM11 or similar? My phone is quite slow and laggy after this update especially the keyboard, so I'm looking to pare things down to speed it up.
That's correct!