Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 38,265 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

texting over wifi?

Tip us?

SS4Luck
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default texting over wifi?

I have a problem. I recently switched to my note 3 from an I5 and love everything except for there doesn't seem to be a way to text via wifi. I have a lot of classes in the basement or in labs at my school where data service is non existent but on the iPhone I could I message over my schools wifi..... what can I do with my note to mirror this? It drives me and my wife nuts that for hours at a time my phone is a paper weight unless we talk via FB messenger which eats up her data plan.

Is there a solution to this problem or is this phone doomed to not send a text using wifi data?
White Note 3 w/ UAG Navigator, Spigen GLAS.tR with a 64 gig Sanzdisk card

Thank god for a grandfathered unlimited data Verizon plan!

xxVAGRANTxx
Old
Thanks Meter 50
You my friend may be outta luck looking to text via wifi. Something I wish I could do. You probably was using Imessage on your I5 which can use wifi

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

sxufeast
Old
Thanks Meter 2
If you don't mind having a Second phone number for texting, Pinger might be your best bet to txt over wifi.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda premium

cam30era
Old
(Last edited by cam30era; 27th January 2014 at 07:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 409
If you don't mind having a second phone number to text from, you can set up a Google Voice account. Then you can send texts via wifi with the VoicePlus app.

ginger man
Old
Thanks Meter 23
You can also use hangouts

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bskarpa
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
I have a problem. I recently switched to my note 3 from an I5 and love everything except for there doesn't seem to be a way to text via wifi. I have a lot of classes in the basement or in labs at my school where data service is non existent but on the iPhone I could I message over my schools wifi..... what can I do with my note to mirror this? It drives me and my wife nuts that for hours at a time my phone is a paper weight unless we talk via FB messenger which eats up her data plan.

Is there a solution to this problem or is this phone doomed to not send a text using wifi data?
I was going to suggest hangouts as well. I don't use it but I'm guessing it would work over wifi

Take a sec and hit thanks if I helped or if you're in a good mood!

bftb0
Old
Thanks Meter 796
FYI, one additional limitation of Google Voice (yes, it works over WiFi) is that can neither send nor receive MMS.

Which means that if you text using your GV number, you have to hope your friends and relatives will be able remember that they can only MMS you using your cell #, but not your GV #. They won't get a notification that an MMS sent to your GV number got silently dropped, and neither will you.

Looks like Hangouts is supposed to do both

https://support.google.com/hangouts/.../3441321?hl=en

(although I haven't used it yet)

but YMMV may vary depending on country. (Same goes with GV too I would presume).
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

The Following User Says Thank You to bftb0 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]