Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,772 Members 52,242 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What features / widgets do you lose if you don't use TouchWiz?

Tip us?

Neo3D
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 226
Question [Q] What features / widgets do you lose if you don't use TouchWiz?

I know we lose the TouchWiz calendar widgets, but is there anything else? There are some really sweet launchers on the market and I just want to know what I'm losing if I ditch TouchWiz?

Also, how do you tell how much RAM a launcher uses?

Which launcher is most efficient at using RAM?

FeralFire
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo3D View Post
I know we lose the TouchWiz calendar widgets, but is there anything else? There are some really sweet launchers on the market and I just want to know what I'm losing if I ditch TouchWiz?

You'll lose all Samsung widgets.

Why do you care about RAM?
You got 3 gigs.

Anyway. Nova launcher is pretty light.
The Following User Says Thank You to FeralFire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

x102x96x
Old
Thanks Meter 278

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo3D View Post

Nova & Apex are almost like original android nexus launcher so u will get very good responsibility from launcher.
u won't lose any system features like multi-window, pen windows and etc but launcher features (touch-wiz) u will lose just widgets.
about RAM;
this is galaxy devices problem that cannot manage ram so good. so note3 will be smoother by android KK

Java.Symbian.WP8.iOS4/5/6/7
Android; Fy \GB \ICS \JB \KK \CustomROM
Devices; Nexus \Xperia \Galaxy \LG \htc \Lenovo
./Android-Ubuntu Programming

The Following User Says Thank You to x102x96x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kabuk1
Old
Thanks Meter 161
You lose the stock camera, s-note, all the samsung add-on stuff like the widgets, s-voice, all that "S" stuff. There are replacements for most of the sansung stuff for AOSP though, and I seriously don't miss TW at all. I'm also gonna recommend Nova launcher as well.
I dunno, butts I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to kabuk1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

FeralFire
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by x102x96x View Post
Nova & Apex are almost like original android nexus launcher so u will get very good responsibility from launcher.
u won't lose any system features like multi-window, pen windows and etc but launcher features (touch-wiz) u will lose just widgets.
about RAM;
this is galaxy devices problem that cannot manage ram so good. so note3 will be smoother by android KK

Are you saying Galaxy devices don't have good memory management?
What makes you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuk1 View Post
You lose the stock camera, s-note, all the samsung add-on stuff like the widgets, s-voice, all that "S" stuff. There are replacements for most of the sansung stuff for AOSP though, and I seriously don't miss TW at all. I'm also gonna recommend Nova launcher as well.
I think he (she...?) was talking about changing just the laumcher. Not the whole ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FeralFire For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 768
You only lose the Samsung widgets.

Spen, Action Menu, Camera and everything else remains fully functional, as do all the gestures and the Samsung apps themselves. (S Note and Calendar do still work fine as an app.)

I'm using Apex. Wonderfully fast. Nova is also good, it's just a matter of preference between the two.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadowLea For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]